Contribute
Register

Mini Cube — H110MSTX-HD3 — i7-7700T — RX 560

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on another site someone used a Sonnet eGFX breakaway box to dual monitors from a Mac mini via DP. The thread didn’t explain what the eGFX was connected to the Mac mini. Checking Sonnets site revealed that it’s Thunderbolt 3. Here’s the kicker though, within that thread it was mentioned that they only managed 20-30 FPS in Unigene. The eGFX box had a 560 installed, those numbers don’t sound that good to me!. I have connected the beast with a MSI GT 710 to the 2006 20” iMac and it recognized it at least in System Report.

I'm not sure I like that idea. I would prefer having the video card in the case or I would invest in a better cpu with integrated gpu.

Front LED wired and working. Really pleased with this build and looking forward to using it on the 42” TV. I purchased the Dynatron K2 and I’ll be replacing the cooler and using that in another build.

BACCD572-BFF5-4DDF-872C-AB464B5F5910.jpeg

While looking at ways to expand the Mac mini to dual boot, I came across this card on eBay. Not only does it have M.2 slot for an extra SSD but also a mini PCIe slot which I'm hoping will allow me to attach the 'Beast' for an eGPU.

So, the expansion card I mentioned in the previous post arrived, and I excitedly fitted the Gigabyte provided, SATA PWR and SATA cable, green LED, Bingo!. Though the 'Beast' fitted the mPCIe, system report couldn't see it, hmm. I did however have a Samsung 128 GB mSATA lying around for another project and plugged it in!. Rebooted, and Windows started up!, I wasn't expecting that, but I'm not sure which Windows it is, there's no desktop, could it be Mobile?. I left my phone/camera at work, because I was a little drunk last night.

No, I’m not drunk!. I don’t know why the image rotated, but anyway a different view.. Straight to the important question, is the K2 good at pulling and removing air from the case, Yes it really is very good at that. Is it quiet?, No, I’m sending it back and replacing it with another Tt E27, which is performing amazingly in the G5. This is just my opinion, the Tt E27 Is a far better fan than the K2. Forgetting the noise issue for a second, having watched temps idle with both fans, the Tt will run about 8 C cooler than the K2. @phunguss your shroud is amazing, you can really feel the air coming out the back, at some pace too!. This has got me thinking about a new shroud for the Tt, but mine will focus on pulling clean air in.

3DAAA892-556B-45C0-97EC-43E1A4E0928E.jpeg

I bought a 2nd K2 to see if the noisy one I had was a fluke, have not tested it yet.

I am sorry to hear that your not satisfied with the cooler. I might be deaf or something because I don't hear anything ever in my build...
I'm not 'Not satisfied', now that its complete @Charlee78 I'm happy with this almost complete build!. It' going to sound noisy when its less than 2ft from my ears and not covered, when its parked behind a 42" TV mounted to an adjustable arm against the wall, it won't be an issue. I also like the DIY 3D printed aspect to it!, phunguss's shroud really blasts that air out the back, right now the Nor Easter I'm feeling against the back of my hand is very chilly. I'm also able to control it, the Tt seemed not as easy to adjust in iStats as the K2 is.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 9.16.48 AM.png

The expansion card I purchased works well and means I can dual boot it, or triple boot!. In the small print though there's a lot 'It don't support', wondering if I should look for a card that 'It do support' and have another try with the 'Beast'. I found this post, Gigabyte Brix Bxpi3-4010u using External GPU (eGPU), last night here on tonymac. After reading the thread, I sort of came to the conclusion though, yes it would make a cool mod, as @Charlee78 suggested, have two Mac minis stacked, one for the eGPU and one for the hack. But this is just for casual gaming, I already have an awesome gaming machine in the G5.

IMG_2988.jpg

It keeps temperatures in range I can't argue against it's performance at all, it's a neat little package. I have a tiny bluetooth dongle plugged into the front USB 3 port, cheap Magic Keyboard look a like, Magic Mouse and X Box wireless controller and yes the cover fits over it. I also may of found a contender for the front USB C, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is also TB3.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 10.22.13 AM.png

I put the Tt E27 back in the Mini, I think I’ll leave the cover off until I print some new shrouds. Peace and quiet.

67688FA5-7036-4159-9700-F6F8EB7C7ACD.jpeg

Very happy with my 2009 Mac mini Hackintosh, I made a small sacrifice of not completely closing the top to let Tt E27 breathe more easily, more gaps and vents for air to move freely. Although I didn't achieve getting it to play BotW, it does dual boot easily into Windows and can be happily used for light gaming without fear of it catching fire. I can fit a BT dongle in the front USB3 port and use my Mighty Mouse and BT keyboard. There's also enough room to access the USB C/TB3/mini DP port at the front, when prices start to fall for eGPU enclosures than I'll consider it, but right now this build is great and thanks to @Charlee78 and @phunguss for their input.

IMG_3466.JPG
IMG_3465.JPG
IMG_3464.JPG
IMG_3463.JPG

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 9.12.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 8.52.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 8.48.03 AM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back