Contribute
Register

Mini Cube — H110MSTX-HD3 — i7-7700T — RX 560

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this a while ago on Thingiverse and I think I could adapt it to allow venting above the fan.
If the cooler runs super quiet, leave the top cover off when you want to game with this. If you're doing general internet surfing or just viewing content you can leave it on and the temps won't get dangerously hot.

Thanks for the awesome suggestions @P1LGRIM and @trs96. I like the sound of the MB being mounted upside down and putting vents underneath, I’m sure I have the right standoffs that could let me do that. Much better option than cutting the top, things dropping inside the through vents is quite a scary thought!. With the top off it works extremely well and quietly and it would be quite safe mounted via 3D printed clips to the back of the 42" TV. Also thinking about creating a 3D printed duct that would fit over the CPU cooler and pull in air directly from the DVD slot.

@craighazan Did you consider the Dynatron cooler? It pulls air thru the heatsink and pushes it thru the rear vent, this way you always get fresh air inside the case.
1591264294534.png

@craighazan Did you consider the Dynatron cooler? It pulls air thru the heatsink and pushes it thru the rear vent, this way you always get fresh air inside the case.
View attachment 473697
I think I’m going to purchase one @Charlee78. I want to try the Tt Engine in my G5 Mod or my next build, the 2006 iMac. I still can’t get over how small this is, is this the smallest Intel based Hackintosh you can build?.

Last edited:
It's a very small cooler but I have nothing to say about it, with a custom shroud you can really feel the warm air coming at the back and I literally have to look at the LED to know if the pc is on, I cannot hear the fan.

I've never had a cube G4 in front of me but I think it's footprint is smaller than the mac mini...
A 2005-2009 Mac Mini is basically 6.5 x 6.5 x 2 inches at the exterior, and a G4 Cube interior is 6.65 x 6.65 x 6.75 inches. The 2010+ Mac Mini is listed as 7.7 x 7.7 x 1.4 inches. I have seen mods with a Mini-ITX put inside a 2010+, and a mod where a 2006 mini was put inside a G4 Cube.

is this the smallest Intel based Hackintosh you can build?.
For a motherboard with a replaceable CPU? YES. For a single board computer? No, NUC and LattePanda are physically smaller, but fixed CPU.

Maybe on the next version of MacOS it can get hacked onto ARM processors? Then you could do one of these Cubix:
https://www.solid-run.com/nxp-family/cubox-i/#specs

Last edited:
A 2005-2009 Mac Mini is basically 6.5 x 6.5 x 2 inches at the exterior, and a G4 Cube interior is 6.65 x 6.65 x 6.75 inches. The 2010+ Mac Mini is listed as 7.7 x 7.7 x 1.4 inches. I have seen mods with a Mini-ITX put inside a 2010+, and a mod where a 2006 mini was put inside a G4 Cube.

For a motherboard with a replaceable CPU? YES. For a single board computer? No, NUC and LattePanda are physically smaller, but fixed CPU.

Maybe on the next version of MacOS it can get hacked onto ARM processors? Then you could do one of these Cubix:
https://www.solid-run.com/nxp-family/cubox-i/#specs

So technically, if macOS is Hacked onto ARM processors, you could fit 9 cubox inside the footprint of 1 2005-2009 Mac mini!.
I'm still thinking about the eGPU!. And yes I did indeed buy the wrong connector for the 'Beast', it was huge and it was never going to fit!. But I want to keep trying with it and see if it works.

One thing I've considered is stacking 2 mac mini cases on top of each other and use the top one for gpu but never got to it...Yet!!
I read on another site someone used a Sonnet eGFX breakaway box to dual monitors from a Mac mini via DP. The thread didn’t explain what the eGFX was connected to the Mac mini. Checking Sonnets site revealed that it’s Thunderbolt 3. Here’s the kicker though, within that thread it was mentioned that they only managed 20-30 FPS in Unigene. The eGFX box had a 560 installed, those numbers don’t sound that good to me!. I have connected the beast with a MSI GT 710 to the 2006 20” iMac and it recognized it at least in System Report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back