Contribute
Register

Mini Cube — H110MSTX-HD3 — i7-7700T — RX 560

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mounted the SATA expansion card to the underside of the cover, its fixed via screw to a 4mm standoff fixed with epoxy resin. The mini dual boots Windows 10 and macOS Catalina, I like the RGB reflecting off the surface it's a nice effect.

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3470.JPG

Just wanted to attach my new EFI folder for this build, I reinstalled macOS with Clover after attempting and failing at using OC. Before, the progress bar would fill with stutters and pauses, with the new EFI it starts up much faster.
I used the same EFI from my Skylake WIP build and altered a value for the graphics, I changed it from HD530 to HD630. Just noticed ig-platform-id is different from what I entered yesterday for the OC USB installer, I entered 59160000, it looks like it should of been 59120000!.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 6.13.27 AM.png

Attachments

• EFI H110MSTX.zip
    29.8 MB · Views: 81
@craighazan I just wanted to follow up with you about the PCIE expansion options. I finally ordered a couple off eBay and was able to test this morning. Success! This one worked great: M.2 WiFi A.E Key with a variety of cards. I took a lot of photos, but don't want to flood your post, so I will add them to a new post. Cards tested in Windows 10 first, then all tested in HS/Mojave/Catalina without modding any kexts, not all booted in each OS, but with kexts or Clover configs I am sure they would. HD3470, HD6450, GT 730 1gb, R5 340X, RX 570 4gb (from bus power only), and R9 Nano 4Gb (external PSU) all worked fine. The only drawback with this adapter is its thickness (and I had to bend the cable 90 degrees to get past the chip heat sink). Mounting the M.2 SSD will cause a slight bend, not sure if that will incur long term effects on it or not.

IMG_8285_rx560.jpg

IMG_8300_bend.jpg
I could maybe smash the cable a little flatter, but I don't know the breaking point.
IMG_8304_expander.jpg

This is very, very interesting!. So technically @Charlee78 idea of stacking 2 Mac mini’s, one for the computer and one for the graphics, is perfectly possible?. Great work Sir, I am buying that adapter.

This is very, very interesting!. So technically @Charlee78 idea of stacking 2 Mac mini’s, one for the computer and one for the graphics, is perfectly possible?. Great work Sir, I am buying that adapter.

Yay!! I knew it was possible!

Yay!! I knew it was possible!
I'm very excited about this, I already ordered the cable that phunguss linked to previously. I have a GT710 or an RX 570 to try it out with, though in order to fit inside a Mac mini case the best option would be an RX560. If this works I will look for another Mac mini case to put a 560 inside.

I'm very excited about this, I already ordered the cable that phunguss linked to previously. I have a GT710 or an RX 570 to try it out with, though in order to fit inside a Mac mini case the best option would be an RX560. If this works I will look for another Mac mini case to put a 560 inside.

Ok! You are doing this now! Nice! Will you let us see that? You could also use 1050TI from evga, it's 5.7 inches (148mm) long and it doesn't require a power wire.
https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=7e5bfb9f-c13b-4800-a855-bea3724a5f8e
1596794766188.png

Thanks @Charlee78, but you definitely get the credit for the dual mini's. I'm going to avoid the 1050Ti though as I currently have Catalina installed, I will buy an RX 560 but probably the MSI AERO, if I can find one at a reasonable price. The R53SR, M.2 WiFi A.E key converter to PCI-E 3.0 x16 to wifi akey, that phunguss linked to in #134, is on it's way. My only concern is, is the cable long enough?, and if not could I extend it using a riser cable?, we shall see. What would also be fun is 3D printing an enclosure for different sized graphics cards, but for now I'm going to stick with the dual minis. The fact that I could fulfill my original goal of getting BotW to play on this build fills me with joy!.

Well, NOW things are getting interesting guys!
Very nice find @phunguss :clap:

@craighazan
You can get a MSI for 75€ here
Maybe it’s worth a shot depending on where you live.
Thanks, unfortunately they don't post to the US!, but thanks for the link. I have ordered a second 2009 Mac mini case from the same seller that I got the first one from, it was $5 more this time!. There are some interesting layout considerations with two Mac minis, one thing I am certain of is mounting the graphics card to the underside of the cover.

The second 2009 Mac mini case arrived today, two minis stacked looks very nice. I had a broken MSI AERO lying around and it seems to be the perfect fit, I have time before the cable arrives to get another 560. Thinking about it, there must be several configurations I could try, one thought was on its side with the IO mirrored. Another thought was 3D printing feet like the Apple cube, if I plan on having the GPU fan pointing down then it would help if the GPU could breath. Or maybe the feet in-between the two minis so there's an empty space in the middle.

IMG_3654.jpeg
IMG_3653.jpeg
IMG_3655.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back