Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I saw this a while ago on Thingiverse and I think I could adapt it to allow venting above the fan.
Not sure about all of those holes in the top, caution says something will fall in and jam the fan.
I had a loose FDD power cable snag a CPU fan once, the CPU fried instantly.

Maybe if you mounted the board upside down and had all of the vents in the underside ?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I saw this a while ago on Thingiverse and I think I could adapt it to allow venting above the fan.
If the cooler runs super quiet, leave the top cover off when you want to game with this. If you're doing general internet surfing or just viewing content you can leave it on and the temps won't get dangerously hot.

Motherboard
Dell 7040 MT (Q170)
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks for the awesome suggestions @P1LGRIM and @trs96. I like the sound of the MB being mounted upside down and putting vents underneath, I’m sure I have the right standoffs that could let me do that. Much better option than cutting the top, things dropping inside the through vents is quite a scary thought!. With the top off it works extremely well and quietly and it would be quite safe mounted via 3D printed clips to the back of the 42" TV. Also thinking about creating a 3D printed duct that would fit over the CPU cooler and pull in air directly from the DVD slot.

Motherboard
Dell 7040 MT (Q170)
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
@craighazan Did you consider the Dynatron cooler? It pulls air thru the heatsink and pushes it thru the rear vent, this way you always get fresh air inside the case.
View attachment 473697
I think I’m going to purchase one @Charlee78. I want to try the Tt Engine in my G5 Mod or my next build, the 2006 iMac. I still can’t get over how small this is, is this the smallest Intel based Hackintosh you can build?.

Last edited:
Motherboard
AsRock Deskmini 110
CPU
I5 6500T
Graphics
Intel 530
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
It's a very small cooler but I have nothing to say about it, with a custom shroud you can really feel the warm air coming at the back and I literally have to look at the LED to know if the pc is on, I cannot hear the fan.

Motherboard
ASRock x99e-itx/ac
CPU
E5-2696 v3
Graphics
R9 Nano
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Classic
Mobile Phone
iOS
I've never had a cube G4 in front of me but I think it's footprint is smaller than the mac mini...
A 2005-2009 Mac Mini is basically 6.5 x 6.5 x 2 inches at the exterior, and a G4 Cube interior is 6.65 x 6.65 x 6.75 inches. The 2010+ Mac Mini is listed as 7.7 x 7.7 x 1.4 inches. I have seen mods with a Mini-ITX put inside a 2010+, and a mod where a 2006 mini was put inside a G4 Cube.

is this the smallest Intel based Hackintosh you can build?.
For a motherboard with a replaceable CPU? YES. For a single board computer? No, NUC and LattePanda are physically smaller, but fixed CPU.

Maybe on the next version of MacOS it can get hacked onto ARM processors? Then you could do one of these Cubix:
https://www.solid-run.com/nxp-family/cubox-i/#specs

Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell 7040 MT (Q170)
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
A 2005-2009 Mac Mini is basically 6.5 x 6.5 x 2 inches at the exterior, and a G4 Cube interior is 6.65 x 6.65 x 6.75 inches. The 2010+ Mac Mini is listed as 7.7 x 7.7 x 1.4 inches. I have seen mods with a Mini-ITX put inside a 2010+, and a mod where a 2006 mini was put inside a G4 Cube.

For a motherboard with a replaceable CPU? YES. For a single board computer? No, NUC and LattePanda are physically smaller, but fixed CPU.

Maybe on the next version of MacOS it can get hacked onto ARM processors? Then you could do one of these Cubix:
https://www.solid-run.com/nxp-family/cubox-i/#specs
So technically, if macOS is Hacked onto ARM processors, you could fit 9 cubox inside the footprint of 1 2005-2009 Mac mini!.
I'm still thinking about the eGPU!. And yes I did indeed buy the wrong connector for the 'Beast', it was huge and it was never going to fit!. But I want to keep trying with it and see if it works.