Contribute
Register

2006 mac mini mods??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, has anyone attempted this? I did some research but only found the newer ones. Am I missing something here?

I love the GigaByte board, don't like the ASUS. I am doing my mod right now. You should be able to use any of the 2006-2009 mac mini cases (G4, A1176, A1283).

mmh02.jpg

I am using a Dynatron K2 cooler and 3D printing a replacement back panel which will be glued on to the base.

mmh04.jpg

mmh04b.jpg

Motherboard width matches on the front holes, back panel will line up nicely. No front ports will be used on my mod, unless I solder a different USB3 socket on (dangerous).

mmh07.jpg

3D printing a custom shroud to make sure the air exits the case.

mmh06b.jpg

I can post my STL files for 3D printing soon.

Good luck!

Hi phunguss! Awesome! That is exactly what I want to do! You even chose the same fan as I have in my list! If you could share your files I would love that! I'm gathering money to start the build right now but I'm gonna go with the deskmini 310 so I will have the power supply and other hardware at the same time. Please keep up the posts.

One question come in my mind while looking at your pics. Will there be room for a dvd reader?

The height of the RAM being vertical pretty much eliminates the possibility of an optical drive. My measurements show the K2 being slightly taller than the RAM.

The ASRock motherboard has a different IO shield than the GigaByte, but I am sure you can mod my files to fit your motherboard. Files attached (zipped on a mac, as the forums do not allow .STL files).

Attachments

• MacMini-STL.zip
    20.9 KB · Views: 160
Here are the IO panel comparison between ASRock (top) and GigaByte (bottom).

STX-IO-panels.jpg

I think finding DDR4 SODIMM in low profile is nearly impossible (none on ebay) but I did find this:
https://www.innodisk.com/en/products/dram-module/embedded/Embedded_VLP_DDR4_SODIMM

Otherwise, the K2 is 1.1inches tall, just taller than standard SODIMM in the socket. My other low profile non-directional CPU cooler is just as tall.
AFH03b.jpg

You may have to settle for an external. Apple USB floppy on top of Mac Mini (2006):

Apple_USB-optical.jpg

Maybe a Cylon eye?
tumblr_nnnqndBffB1tqyfuro1_500.gif

Or Knight Rider?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back