Contribute
Register

2004 G5 ATX conversion using BitFenix Neos Case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P6T
CPU
i7
Graphics
Nvidia 770 2gb
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Greetings,

I recently bought two DP 2004 G5's and am planing on converting them for use with my current ATX box and a future 2015/16 build (when intel start shipping new processors.)

I had a single processor G5 when i had my own company back in 2003. It was an Awesome work horse back then. I loved the case. Soild, well built, very clever and stylish design. Have still yet to see a better case.

Wanted to convert one for years. Recently saw two for sale locally. I also really hate the current cooler master i am using with my hackintosh. So decided to "Think Different"

I been browsing the forums here and have been really inspired and wanted to have a try.
I am considering a laser hive ATX cut-out option, but, as I have two, I thought to try something different and keep that as plan "B".

I have bought a BitFenix ​​Neos - White / Silver Case (which is certainly a G5 "look" inspired case) and plan to cut off parts to convert my G5.

I'd like to incorporate the motherboard tray and the 2.5 hdd mounts. and also two front and one rear 120mm fan mounts.
Maybe using the mesh from the front panel for creating some cable management. Have not decided entirely yet.

I like BitFenix cases owned another budget "merc" case couple of years ago, Easy to install good spacing inside.
This is a budget case too, nice looking,but, not very solid, but that should make cutting easier!

So far I've just taken the front plastic case assembly off and the rubber feet to measure the case without them. The remaining shell dimensions are approximately:

413mm height
282mm width
413mm depth

Just at the deciding where to cut stage. Have to go get a new dremmel cutting wheel first.
Wanted to share my vague plan. Completely open to ideas and suggestions.

I love the sliding tray idea from neilhart's "Slow Roll G5 Power Mac - System on Slides". Great Idea and really well done might try and do something similar with the cutout atX tray from this case, but, it would be with far less finesse.

Will update when i move forward, but, real life will prevent me from making any real progress until next week at the earliest.

See attachments for pics of the case teardown.

Attachments

• BitFenix  Neos   - 01.jpg
    BitFenix Neos - 01.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 295
  • BitFenix  Neos   - 03.jpg
    BitFenix Neos - 03.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 355
  • BitFenix  Neos   - 04.jpg
    BitFenix Neos - 04.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 302
  • BitFenix  Neos   - 07.jpg
    BitFenix Neos - 07.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 315
  • BitFenix  Neos   - 11.jpg
    BitFenix Neos - 11.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 286
Ulysses welcome to forum and I am pleased to see your thread. This is the best place to be for answers to any (most) questions that come up.

Good modding,
neil

Thank you, appreciate the support!

Today I drilled out all rivets on the BitFenix Neos. 3mm bit worked a treat.

Then used pliers to knock out the motherboard stand offs on the original g5 case.

Finally took out the g5's upper shelf following eelheads guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/77205-how-remove-g5-upper-shelf.html

Not so easy taking that apart! Managed while preserving all the parts.

Attachments

• IMG_5077.jpg
    IMG_5077.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_5079.jpg
    IMG_5079.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 329
I have made some progress.
Cut the G5 Case to measure and fit my backplate and ATX mount.
Planned where i wanted to drill 3mm holes to secure both backplate and board mount.

This went well apart from one slip up with the cutting wheel marking my lovely case. I tried to cut conservatively giving me space to sand down edges to get the fit just right.

As neither parts were made for this purpose I had to compromise on the design and my backplate and board would not line up exactly with the original pci backplate, leaving a small gap. I want to use the three rear g5 shelf screw point to bolt my atx plate to the g5.

I decided to leave the gap. Fill it and respray as a respray would make the rivets stand out less anyway against the white back plate.

I also took the c13 connector from old g5 psu desoldered and re-solder and heat-shrunk to a c14 connector and cut and mounted it to the top of the g5 case. Planning to have the psu on the g5 top shelf.

I also cut and drilled top shelf. I cut out a 12cm hole for the psu intake. not perfect and planned to use the psu fanguard and fan screws to secure the psu to the shelf.

I also decided to use the shelf to secure rails for the 3.5" and 2.5" hard drive mounting system used on the neos case.
I drilled holes for the rails on the top shelf and would secure the rails after.

I did this and It "sort of" worked.

Critical flaws i found with this plan emerged. From modding the shelf like this,

1)The PSU CPU power cables could not reach the mb, the atx cables, cpi, sata and molex were fine, just this cpu one. I could have lengthened this or bought adaptor.

2) I mounted the hdd rails as far back as they would go into the case, do leaving not space at the back, making installing rails difficult.
3)Maybe more importantly i would need to remove the rails in order to remove the shelf in order to remove the psu (as the cpu cables did not fit.) I had made the PSU difficult to replace and I wanted the designto be better and easier to replace PSU's and everything else too.
I like to upgrade parts and don't want to be restricted. e.g. If I want a SLI setup and need a bigger PSU don't want to have to make more cuts in a shelf.

So I ripped out my shelf, rails and psu.

Carefully considering my next move.
Need to make sure components are located where they can be easily removed.
I am thinking of maybe keeping the psu at the bottom front of the case and also mounting a water cooling radiator at the front too.
An reversing the airflow so hot air would be pushed out of the front.

Perhaps using the original hdd mounting in or near original locations. In combination with a 5.25 bay for two or four 2.5" drives. Maybe where optical drive was on top shelf.

Anyone modded their g5 with reverse airflow system on a g5?
Feel free to comment, I am thick skinned and this is my first case mod. So take aim and fire!

Attachments

• g5 reverse air flow.jpg
    g5 reverse air flow.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 495
  • g5 hdd rails and shelf disaster..jpg
    g5 hdd rails and shelf disaster..jpg
    50 KB · Views: 376
  • g5 back.jpg
    g5 back.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 397
  • small scratch oops.jpg
    small scratch oops.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_5083.jpg
    IMG_5083.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 287
So I settled on this.

I used the drive cage and dual 120mm fan mount from, the Neos and adapted it using the original g5 pci shelf and powersupply cage.

It was a very tight fit under the G5 optical shelf. So to help make this work I cut the shelf in two. This also helped with the space needed for the psu. I have the psu quite far forward on the shelf this is to make sure my cables could reach.

They don't.

I discovered last time. Specifically the 8pin cpu power aux cable so bought an extender for that. A bit fenix one as it happens.

I used Velcro tape to secure the hdd/fan cage to the G5. The idea of using this was to reduce vibration from the fans and hdd to the rest of the case. I'm pleased with how well that works. I also Velcro-ed the fan controller to the top of cage.

I used a "G5 Front Panel to ATX Adapter Cables" from Black CH mods for the front panel. All worked perfectly. Easily as my old motherboard has firewire connector.

Installed the kit and the Job is a good un.

Incidentally. Not going to make my next g5 by cannibalising a bit fenix case this way. I am happy with the result for this, but, it was a struggle. Lots of frustration, too much time and effort making it all work. I mean days of work.
(this was my first attempt at a case mod)

Next build I will be ordering made to measure parts from laserhive! At least for the tray and backplate.

Attachments

• IMG_5547.jpg
    IMG_5547.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_5544.jpg
    IMG_5544.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_5550.jpg
    IMG_5550.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 296
Status
Not open for further replies.