Contribute
Register

1st Hackintosh -- Components Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
motherboard OR system make & model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All!

This is my first Hackintosh and I would like for you to check out my planned build and give me any info you might have to make this process as smooth as possible: Tips, tricks, whatever. I'm building this primarily for Audio Recording/Editing, but will be expanding in the future so I have a decent gaming/media rig.

CPU: Intel Core i7 - 3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155...
PSU: RAIDMAX RX-850AE 850W ATX12V v2.3
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
HDD:: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Blu-Ray Drive: LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE... 4MB Cache SATA Blu-Ray Burner (WH14NS40)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Later in the build...

Graphics Card: MSI N680GTx-PM2D2GD5 GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 3.0 x16

Most of this lines up with the 2012 Custom Build Guide, but any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Hmm... the PSU is overkill even if you will add the GTX680. And the build would tolerate an SSD.;)

I would spend the PSU money on quality, rather than watts. You'll be much happier with a 650W Corsair that'll last the whole life of the computer than a Raidmax that breaks down a few months in.

Also, switch the DVD drive to a Sony Optiarc for maximum compatibility.

What DAW and interface do you use?

Hmm... the PSU is overkill even if you will add the GTX680. And the build would tolerate an SSD.

I would spend the PSU money on quality, rather than watts. You'll be much happier with a 650W Corsair that'll last the whole life of the computer than a Raidmax that breaks down a few months in.

Also, switch the DVD drive to a Sony Optiarc for maximum compatibility.

What DAW and interface do you use?

Well, I had planned on getting a 650W PSU, but I wanted to be plenty prepared for extra expansion in the future, as many of the newer cards recommend a minimum 650w PSU. I'll be using Pro Tools and have yet decided on an interface. I'm in an Audio Production & Tech. degree program and will mostly be editing on this build, but I'm also wanting to be prepped for future use.

I'm wanting a Dual OS setup in the future, so I'm wanting the Blu-Ray for play on Windows or Linux (If that's possible in Linux? I'm not a guru on this stuff by any means...)

Oh, and I would love an SSD, but it just seems too pricey for my current budget. I figured a HDD would do for now, but I could be wrong... Should I invest there?

Oh, and I would love an SSD, but it just seems too pricey for my current budget. I figured a HDD would do for now, but I could be wrong... Should I invest there?

As to a SSD - you could hold off for now - and partition that Big drive into at least one small volume that would be the boot volume for the mac and then when you get the SSD migrate the volume to the SSD and then boot from it - when you get this up and running you would have a small boot vol say 256 gb and a large data vol say 750 gb - apps on small data on large.

but for dual Boot I suggest a seperate HD for your Windows - much easier... oh and we assume you are planning on using OSX10.8 ML

As to a SSD - you could hold off for now - and partition that Big drive into at least one small volume that would be the boot volume for the mac and then when you get the SSD migrate the volume to the SSD and then boot from it - when you get this up and running you would have a small boot vol say 256 gb and a large data vol say 750 gb - apps on small data on large.

but for dual Boot I suggest a seperate HD for your Windows - much easier... oh and we assume you are planning on using OSX10.8 ML

That's what I was thinking about the SSD vs. HDD.

And yes, I'm using UniBeast to install OSX 10.8 ML.

That's what I was thinking about the SSD vs. HDD.

And yes, I'm using UniBeast to install OSX 10.8 ML.

Perfecly_Diverse

Their is a SSD in the Deals of the Day 120GB for 99.00
but it ends tonight and its at Costco.

Perfecly_Diverse

Their is a SSD in the Deals of the Day 120GB for 99.00
but it ends tonight and its at Costco.

Ah well, I was too late. Thanks for the heads up though.

Just finished the orders! I'm so excited. For the PSU I compromised and got a 750W. I'm sure that will be plenty. Looking forward to my new Hackintosh being up and running!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back