CPU
Q8200
Graphics
HD 5750
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Between what? :crazy:

You'll notice it's 100% more. :mrgreen:

For new games on the Windows at high quality setting a 2gb gpu is nice to have.

Anyone with Mac video or photo editing experience like to comment about more gpu memory vs ram vs more cpu cores?

More CPU cores trumps more RAM memory.
More RAM memory trumps more GPU memory.

Having a 2GB video card vs 1GB card wouldn't make your video editing faster as much as having an 8-core vs. your 2-core Pentium 4 CPU.

Craigrox said:
How much more ram would roughly equate to upgrading a gpu from 1GB to 2 GB?

More memory than standard on a graphics card is basically a marketing ploy to get you to spend more money and will gain you very little if nothing at all.

IF the extra memory made a substantial difference then it would be the standard amount. nVidia and AMD don't pick the amount of ram out of a hat.

Craigrox said:
So we aren't talking about a 1 GB card compared to a completely different 2 GB card? I.e manufactured To be that size from the start.

Well I'm not entirely sure what you are asking about to be honest. Your questions sound like you really don't know much of anything about hardware, which is seemingly inconsistent with the fact that you have guides in your sig.

If it's a serious question, well the amount of memory a graphics card has really tells you little or nothing about the performance of the card. You do need a certain amount of memory to run at high resolutions, but the amount on the cards is generally dictated by some multiple of the width of the memory bus. Which is why you see all sorts of odd numbers on graphics cards that you don't typically see else where.

The width of the memory bus and the speed of the ram are basically far, far more important than the amount of memory, because 3D graphics require shuffling enormous amounts of data around very quickly and that is where the bottle necks are likely to occur. At least the ones related to memory.

More memory on cards is basically an attempt to cash in on the fact that people don't necessarily know the difference between a GF108 and a GK104 chip or the advantages of a 256 bit memory bus with GDDR5 vs 192 bit with GDDR3, but they DO understand that 2 is bigger than 1. So it must be better right?

A guy I know got a 2gb nVidia 9600 because of this, which was a mid range chip 4 generations ago. I've recently purchased a 670 which despite being vastly more powerful requires just 2gb to run games spanning three 1080p monitors at a vastly higher frame rate.

I'm sorry! I misread the post late last night and was completely coming in at the wrong angle with the question I was asking :oops:

However, I will admit that GPUs have been what is letting me down knowledge wise but what you said I have found very interesting
The width of the memory bus and the speed of the ram are basically far, far more important than the amount of memory, because 3D graphics require shuffling enormous amounts of data around very quickly and that is where the bottle necks are likely to occur. At least the ones related to memory.

Sorry again for the confusion! I think I shall refrain from posting when I'm getting into bed haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back