Contribute
Register

16gb Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next time I have to put in a Newegg order for work, I'll nab some for my 4430s and report back here.

i have seen a few posts that recommend running the 4530s on 4gb of ram or less.
i have 16gb in mine and it seems to work fine - specially after installing the fan app

has anyone else got any good experiences with 8 or 16gb ram in their machine?

interestingly, i tried to revert back to windows 7 for a while last week and the computer was frustratingly slow...although i put a lot of that down to the bloatware installed by HP and the seemingly constant updating of windows 7

the computer seems to work much better as a mac than as a pc

The only reason for 4 gigs of ram being recommended is the graphics thing. So since it seems to work now, 16 should be fine.

But yes- this computer works AMAZINGLY well as a Mac vs PC

I've been using 8 GB RAM since before installing Lion, had graphic glitches, specially in the beginning, but the fan app solved them. Mac runs smoothly on my machine, a much pleasant experience than using windows. I'm actually thinking on ditching my 4530s for a new Macbook Pro, I'm just trying to rearrange my budget for this year. :crazy:

dxcb said:
I've been using 8 GB RAM since before installing Lion, had graphic glitches, specially in the beginning, but the fan app solved them. Mac runs smoothly on my machine, a much pleasant experience than using windows. I'm actually thinking on ditching my 4530s for a new Macbook Pro, I'm just trying to rearrange my budget for this year. :crazy:

If you would have to rearrange your budget just to get a Macbook Pro, I would suggest put a 128gb SSD in the 4530s and you would be getting close to the same performance without have to mess with your budget. You could also replace the screen for around $100 and then for around $700 you would basically have a Macbook Pro.

BigDubbe said:
If you would have to rearrange your budget just to get a Macbook Pro, I would suggest put a 128gb SSD in the 4530s and you would be getting close to the same performance without have to mess with your budget. You could also replace the screen for around $100 and then for around $700 you would basically have a Macbook Pro.

Thanks for the suggestions, BD. That's an interesting proposition. How's the performance of the 4530 running on MOSX compared to a MacBook Pro? I didn't know you could replace the screen for so cheap. Thanks for the tip again.

dxcb said:
BigDubbe said:

Thanks for the suggestions, BD. That's an interesting proposition. How's the performance of the 4530 running on MOSX compared to a MacBook Pro? I didn't know you could replace the screen for so cheap. Thanks for the tip again.

If you don't mind update the boot loader and other change that this tonymacx86 group comes up with. You can get everything working like the app store and iCloud. At this point I think the only really problem the 4530s still has is the bluetooth after sleep problem. So if bluetooth is something thats not super important to you and if you put a SSD in it the differences between the two would be very small. I would say the only thing the Macbook Pro would have a leg up on would be battery life and the i5 processor but even that is probably not worth the extra $1000+ the Macbook Pro would cost.

BigDubbe said:
dxcb said:
BigDubbe said:

If you don't mind update the boot loader and other change that this tonymacx86 group comes up with. You can get everything working like the app store and iCloud. At this point I think the only really problem the 4530s still has is the bluetooth after sleep problem. So if bluetooth is something thats not super important to you and if you put a SSD in it the differences between the two would be very small. I would say the only thing the Macbook Pro would have a leg up on would be battery life and the i5 processor but even that is probably not worth the extra $1000+ the Macbook Pro would cost.

The only thing that really makes it not as good for me is the trackpad- only 2 finger gestures. Not work the extra 1k though.

I don't use the bluetooth at all so it is of no importance to me. Trackpad gestures are also something I can live without since they add nothing to my workflow. So I will definitely consider BD suggestion vs. getting a MBP.

Cheers!

16 GB of DDR3-1333 RAM is working just fine for me. I am currently dedicating 8 GB of it to my Windows 7 VM and the other 8 to Lion. Things couldn't be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back