Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
Intel 620
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have seen posts where people have put more than 8GB in their ProBook, I would like to see GeekBench scores or even video on how the system runs with more than the 8GB, even 16GB...is it stable? Will Windows recognize it if I do decide to go the dual-boot route?

I have seen posts where people have put more than 8GB in their ProBook, I would like to see GeekBench scores or even video on how the system runs with more than the 8GB, even 16GB...is it stable? Will Windows recognize it if I do decide to go the dual-boot route?

yes windows recognises it, and loves it. you can turn off the windows swap disk too.

geekbench? i dont know. from 4gb to 16gb you notice the speed difference is useful if you edit stuff like multi hd video clips and large images/photos. an i7 cpu is recommended if you are planning to use real time effects on videos. or maybe an egpu - i dont have access to an egpu so maybe someone else can answer.

Well I ordered one kit of 16GB so I expecting the ram tomorrow, so a soon as I have it I will install the ram and I will post the results. I just installed my Crucial SSD M4 256 GB and boot times are under 10 seconds, and everything looks faster! I will do a dual boot with Windows 7.

As I posted in another post, my Geekbench 32-bit score is 5338 on my i7 with 4GB RAM with standard 5400 RPM drive

Perhaps I'm wrong, but wouldn't the improved geekbench score depend on the quality of the ram as opposed to, or as well as the amount?

ie, the speed, etc.. the probook is limited to 1333 I think? (stand corrected if im wrong), I guess the only improvements in different brands would be latency etc, but anything us mortals would actually notice? I'm not so sure..

I'm sure the quality of the RAM would adjust a couple points, but I am sure the AMOUNT would make a bigger difference.......I'm very interested in bumping mine up to 16GB and since doing that is cheaper than SSD for now, I will make the RAM my first upgrade.....then maybe CPU.....then the monitor.....the reason for doing SSD last is in hopes of bigger drives going down in price....and I am really spoiled by HD so this 1366x768 isn't the best...its great, I love it, don't get me wrong, but this will be my ultimate "Hackbook"....i know it sounds like I am putting ALOT of money into this computer, but when you consider I paid $0 for the laptop b/c I sold a cellphone to get it (a cellphone that was given to me).....it will STILL come out cheaper than a MacBook Pro

Well, personally, I wouldnt worry so much about geekbench scores..

Have your laptop do what you need it to do, and do it as efficiently as you need it to.

So if your messing with graphics and need 16gb ram, go for it, I only require 4, at times when im using a few audio apps at once I'd benefit from 8, 16 is a long way off for me.

SSD was a vital upgrade for me, as well as the hdd in a caddy, and a NAS drive in my loft on gb lan, I require lots of space for my music, but also wanted my apps to open quickly, and I hate waiting for an OS to boot, so quick start up was paramount to me.

Th 1080p monitor is an upgrade Ive considered for some time, but I wont do it until I have spare cash floating about.

As for the CPU, again, another upgrade I will do, however, its one of those upgrades Ill do once i feel my laptop is running at the speed of something out of date, and by then of course, much like your SSD theory, the prices will have dropped.

But basically, upgrade what you feel you need in that order as apposed to what will improve your geekbench score.

Good luck with it, I know you'll be amazed by the sdd, couple that with some more ram and CPU it will be great, if your looking for impact, and have the cash, do the lot in one go.

Well, personally, I wouldnt worry so much about geekbench scores..

Have your laptop do what you need it to do, and do it as efficiently as you need it to.

So if your messing with graphics and need 16gb ram, go for it, I only require 4, at times when im using a few audio apps at once I'd benefit from 8, 16 is a long way off for me.

+1.

GeekBench is one of the worst benchmark programs I've ever seen. Maybe a close second to the Windows Experience Index (WEI). Adding more RAM will not make your computer faster unless you're using very RAM intensive programs. Having RAM affect a performance benchmark so greatly is just strange.

Unless you have programs that will actually use that much RAM, you're better off spending the money on an SSD instead.

I use Geekbench because its universal....I can use it on Windows, iOS, Android.....I do use iMovie and hopefully soon will be getting Final Cut, so yes, I have a reason for alot of RAM......

I use Geekbench because its universal....I can use it on Windows, iOS, Android.....I do use iMovie and hopefully soon will be getting Final Cut, so yes, I have a reason for alot of RAM......

Yes, it is a good tool for determining if everything is working correctly as far as performance on OS X as you can compare the number to Windows. A decent tool for objectively analyzing the performance of components in your computer? Not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back