Motherboard
ASRock Z370M-itx/ac
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Building a Hackintosh as we speak and looking at what is the “hot” budget monitor right now. Would like a 27” monitor is possible but anything down to 21” is fine. Been running a mid-2011 iMac since and it has been fine for my normal usage. Won’t be gaming on this machine.
Specs are
ASRock Z370m-itx/ac board
i5-8400
8GB ram

No discrete graphics card, just the internal gpu of the i5-8400. Have been looking at the BenQ BL2420PT (24”) but was hoping for something in the 27” range for less than $300. Main thing is that I have always loved IPS panels so will want to keep it there.

So criteria is
- IPS panel
- Between 21” and 27”
- Less than $300
- VESA mountable is preferable but not really a deal breaker

Building a Hackintosh as we speak and looking at what is the “hot” budget monitor right now. Would like a 27” monitor is possible but anything down to 21” is fine. Been running a mid-2011 iMac since and it has been fine for my normal usage. Won’t be gaming on this machine.
Specs are
ASRock Z370m-itx/ac board
i5-8400
8GB ram

No discrete graphics card, just the internal gpu of the i5-8400. Have been looking at the BenQ BL2420PT (24”) but was hoping for something in the 27” range for less than $300. Main thing is that I have always loved IPS panels so will want to keep it there.

So criteria is
- IPS panel
- Between 21” and 27”
- Less than $300
- VESA mountable is preferable but not really a deal breaker
Why 1440p? Since not all YouTube videos support 1440p it will look kinda blurry and stretched out when watching full screen, my dad bought me a second hand Apple Thunderbolt monitor which is 1440p, and watching YouTube videos, images etc. in full screen makes everything very blurry, making the content look a lot worse than watching 1080p content on a 1080p monitor.

So I would rather suggest going for 4K (4K has 4 times as many pixels as a 1080p monitor, so 4 pixels on a 4K monitor will be able to act as 1 pixel while watching 1080p videos/images), which actually fits within a $300 budget. But since you're on a budget, its a little difficult for others to select a monitor for you as pricing isn't the same everywhere. So I would recommend looking for good deals on 4K monitors rather than 1440p monitors

Heres an example of a 27" IPS monitor under $300:

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07HNS43Z5/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

No discrete graphics card, just the internal gpu of the i5-8400.
Unless you've already got this processor, I would rather recommend the i5-9600K since its overclockable and therefore more future proof

1440p monitor was just to bring things up to a more current state outside of 1080p. No need for a 4k display as most of the "decent" ones will be over $300 mark. The 2k, 1440p monitor was a good compromise and with regards to watching things like youtube in full screen, that rarely happens.

As for the monitor, I ended up getting a great deal on an Acer K272HUL IPS 27" monitor ($216 to my door) and it has been awesome thus far. Still working out some kinks on the system so having gotten full graphics acceleration going and the monitor does have the traditional IPS glow/bleed but nothing out of the ordinary, at least to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back