Contribute
Register

1394 pci for hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
newrigel said:
That's a NICE card though and some FW devices are VERY finicky when it comes to controller chips. I wouldn't cheat myself on hardware because I may as well just get a real mac then. You could buy a mac or get premium parts and have a configurable mac at 2/3 the cost. I wouldn't skimp on hardware.

Plus, what are you using on your FW buss audio wise? If you use DSP solutions, they are VERY finicky so the Sonnets are a good choice too! If you hook up a video cam that's one thing but for audio and video FW devices that need hight bandwidth asynchronous paths, you need a GOOD FW card period... mac or PC.
Myself, I quit the FW thing for audio and went PCIE because hopefully we will see lightpeak PCIE cards soon.

That's an expensively nice card. I've got extensive experience with FW400 going back to when Apple first adapted the Sony protocol &, recently, FW800. A $100 FW card is not necessary. Especially for the MB/CPU combinations by the above posters. My $20 Dynex PCI-e FW400/800 works very well for home audio/video conversions (Vinyl LPs and specially recorded VHS events) and my personal guitar recording in GB.

However, if you're a professional recording engineer, then you're in the upper 3rd Sigma of the mean curve of this forum's users. You've got a system with a X58A MB, a i7-9xx CPU and gobs of memory, driving 2 or more large monitors. You need to record and edit 50+ tracks, and you want your system to operate very quietly. These are the guys who are using M-Audio or other professional audio PCI-E cards.

For the rest of us, inexpensive FW PCI/PCI-e work very well, indeed.

Its just my opinion, but I have run 32 channels of audio inputs from my SIIG PCI FW-400 card. I think I paid just under $50 for it a few years back. I bought this particular card because at the time of ProTools in the late 6-ish version it was supported FW card.

It never failed me before. I am crossing my fingers now.

<UPDATE> The SIIG FW card works OOB. Super smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back