Contribute
Register

128GB RAM and 16 cores / 32 threads X9DAI

Status
Not open for further replies.
lightninhopkins said:
Haha. But don't you guys agree that the 8GB sticks of ram for $80 are dirt cheap? 4GB was $150 not too long ago. The CPU's at $2K each will maintain their value for at least one year, and drop slightly after that. It's going to be a while before Intel makes anything faster than this. At least 1-2 years. So I felt it was a safe investment, especially when I have other uses for it.

Out of curiosity I just checked my Newegg invoice history...back in 2005 I paid $183.95 for a 1GB (2x512MB) dual channel RAM kit on my first PC build (which I later began experimenting with as my first hackintosh).

iNews said:
it this mobo stable with a hack
how is it ?

It seems stable. I've had it up and running for days at a time and hasn't had any issues running standard or my own task-specific benchmarks. I have hit one ethernet lockup twice when it got hit with a bunch of jobs on XGrid. I've not tracked that down to whether it was load-based or somehow tied to XGrid and whether it's because of the onboard ethernet controller or something else. I've got some extra ethernet cards here that should fly and I'll do some tests to try to isolate things now that I'm back in town.

In general though, it's been very stable. I've not tried 10.7.4 or 10.8 on it FWIW.

wow im looking to build dual processor hack with aja Kona 3g pcie (x4) and with raid storage (24TB) like u is that will work with me ?

was curious,, since your using dual xeone processors, in your hackin-beast... is your ram ECC.. since the processors have built-in memory controller to address registers RAM... I tried reading though the thread... but not sure what brand and specs of all that RAM... I was also wondering... if the ECC could make any difference on a benchmark score...

Yes, I did go for ECC RAM. It's got Kingston DCC DDR3/1333 Server RAM in there.

I've now replicated my ethernet issue - just when XGrid jobs hit it. Same jobs run directly (still spooling tons of data off the network) has no issues. Strange.

At the moment, the machine is running in Linux, crunching lots of numbers. I've got about 100 hours of crunching to push through it at the moment.

I'm thinking of going the same route as you two with the Supermicro 7047A-T/X9DAi barebones system. I just had another question regarding ram. 64-128GB is kind of out of my budget, but I still want to take advantage of the quad-channel memory controller the cpus have. So I was thinking 8x 4gb sticks and was wondering if either of you knew/would be willing to try to see if regular (non-ecc, unbuffered/unregistered) desktop ram would work with the x9dai?

Resurrecting this thread: With today's announcement of Mountain Lion and Turbo Boost support... Is it time for a REAL Mac Pro update ala Hackintosh?

thegagne said:
Resurrecting this thread: With today's announcement of Mountain Lion and Turbo Boost support... Is it time for a REAL Mac Pro update ala Hackintosh?

Seriously. This Mac Pro delay sucks.

I might get Lion back on this thing and just use it without the turbo boost. Other issue is, the GTX 690 cards don't work in Mac.

lightninhopkins said:
thegagne said:

Seriously. This Mac Pro delay sucks.

I might get Lion back on this thing and just use it without the turbo boost. Other issue is, the GTX 690 cards don't work in Mac.
My posting could very well be a topic of its own, but I thought maybe this would help...
I wanted to experiment with a Hackintosh build based on an EVGA FTW3 mobo. I figured the worst case scenario was I would end up with a "dedicated" Windows 7 computer and an existing dual boot Windows 7/Hackintosh. Unfortunately, the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev. 2 mobo in this dual boot setup was going downhill. Without getting into all the details, the FTW3 replaced the X58A-UD3R and like other Hackintosh setups, I couldn't get max. video res. Then I thought, why not try the DSDT file I used for my X58A-UD3R? Well, I now have max. res. in my "remade" Hackintosh.

I can't guarantee this will work for you, but have you tried something like it yet?

This is amazing. This is the machine Apple should have released today. I just might have to try to copy your build. Here I was, ready to give Apple my money, but with today's release... your build looks significantly more appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back