Contribute
Register

128GB RAM and 16 cores / 32 threads X9DAI

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did I miss this thread? Dual overclocked Xeon E5-2690 CPUs?! :eek:

I was happy just to get my single CPU overclocked setup going on my first try. :)

Awesome setup you have there, lightninhopkins! :headbang:

thanks archelon. It's only using the cpu's built in turbo boost feature to go above the main clock speed of 2900 MHz. Not really overclocked in the traditional way. Neither supermicro or the actual chip support overclocking.

Hopefully we can get the turbo feature working, which will take the 2900MHz up to 3800MHz (for bursts of time).

There's gotta be someone out there who knows how.

Just to keep folks here up to date (lightninhopkins and I have been doing a bit off-board), it's clear that OS X isn't getting TurboBoost operational. MSRDumper.kext on my rig, for example, shows "12 26" meaning I'm getting 1.2 and 2.6 GHz out of my 2.6 GHz processors. We both verified MSRDumper is giving the turbo boost states on several actual Macs.

Linux is turning in a bit better GB scores (30k vs. 27k) and it is getting TurboBoost. There, running "i7z", I can see I'm hitting the full boosted speed for periods and can run at 2.9 for a good bit of time even. So, we just need to get this working in OS X to be up in the 30s.

What kind of cinebench numbers are you guys getting? Curious is the scaling is roughly the same there as geekbench.

With a pair of E5-2690's, CineBench CPU render gets 25.0 (win 7)

With the GTX 690 it's around 50 FPS.

it this mobo stable with a hack
how is it ?

What are you planning to do on that beast?

iNews said:
it this mobo stable with a hack
how is it ?

It was ROCK SOLID running MacOS, but not as solid with win7.

iTz Crush said:
What are you planning to do on that beast?

Mostly using it with Adobe CS6 Premiere editing RED 5K footage. The combination of the system and software is amazing, as far as speed goes.

lightninhopkins said:
With a pair of E5-2690's, CineBench CPU render gets 25.0 (win 7)

With the GTX 690 it's around 50 FPS.

Wow cool,

How does that compare with the cinebench numbers in OSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back