Register

128GB RAM and 16 cores / 32 threads X9DAI

Status
Not open for further replies.
lightninhopkins said:
eelhead said:
lightninhopkins said:
Not sure what I'll do at this point.

Have a beer maybe and wonder if you'll have any money left for food budget ;)

Haha. But don't you guys agree that the 8GB sticks of ram for $80 are dirt cheap? 4GB was $150 not too long ago. The CPU's at $2K each will maintain their value for at least one year, and drop slightly after that. It's going to be a while before Intel makes anything faster than this. At least 1-2 years. So I felt it was a safe investment, especially when I have other uses for it.

Sorry to ruin things for you, but Intel is already planning Ivy Bridge-EP which should be out in a years time...
That said, it's anyone's guess how much faster it'll be, but I'm sure they'll throw a few more cores at it, just because they can...

Don't post anything until you get it running ship-shape :lol:

Sorry to ruin things for you, but Intel is already planning Ivy Bridge-EP which should be out in a years time...
That said, it's anyone's guess how much faster it'll be, but I'm sure they'll throw a few more cores at it, just because they can...

Not ruined at all. I have to use these anyway for our VMware machines. This is just a middle point to test stuff and see how works with video editing. Definitely not chump change, and a big investment for sure, but we use these type of systems for other things anyway. You're right, I heard about Ivy Bridge too. I think it's 10 cores like the existing multi proc versions out now.

@wcg66 - definitely not posting unless it's something impressive.

What are you trying to do? - Time travel :eek:

hw007 said:
What are you trying to do? - Time travel :eek:

128gb - consciousness
512gb - self awareness
1TB - ??

Got constantly slow results from the geekbench (13,000 range). I've installed win7 now and it's been fine since the bios update. If geekbench is slow in win7, we'll know it's hardware and not OS related. I'll keep everyone posted.

So I got near 30,000 geekbench with win7 (32bit free version).

I'll go back and visit macos later on. So the hardware is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back