Contribute
Register

128GB RAM and 16 cores / 32 threads X9DAI

Status
Not open for further replies.
wcg66 said:
The top scores are here:
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/top

The 83226 is from "Intel Xeon E7- 8837 @ 2666 MHz 12 processors, 10 cores, 96 threads" might be tough to top that but you'll make it to this page for sure.

Cool. I just bought GeekBench 2 for Mac. I'm installing Final Cut and it looks like it'll be an hour or more. I'm so eager to try this benchmark. Results would be wrong while installing FC though.

@mumulator - Originally for video editing, but it might be better as a server running ESXi. I had to try the MacOS install on it first though. Not sure what I'll do at this point.

eelhead said:
lightninhopkins said:
Not sure what I'll do at this point.

Have a beer maybe and wonder if you'll have any money left for food budget ;)

Haha. But don't you guys agree that the 8GB sticks of ram for $80 are dirt cheap? 4GB was $150 not too long ago. The CPU's at $2K each will maintain their value for at least one year, and drop slightly after that. It's going to be a while before Intel makes anything faster than this. At least 1-2 years. So I felt it was a safe investment, especially when I have other uses for it.

forget all that, where are the pics? :mrgreen:

Is this normal? :eek: :eek:

This is marvelous!

samisnake said:
forget all that, where are the pics? :mrgreen:

I just added one picture in the first post. Once I'm done with this other junk I'm doing, I'll post some nicer ones I took during the build. Didn't really know I'll post anything, so just some random pictures.

CPU's are huge. 700 more pins than an i7.

wcg66 said:
The top scores are here:
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/top

The 83226 is from "Intel Xeon E7- 8837 @ 2666 MHz 12 processors, 10 cores, 96 threads" might be tough to top that but you'll make it to this page for sure.

Ha, just realized that 83K score is 12 procs at 10 cores. yup, that's basically the highest end machine for now.

I'll probably get 15,000 max.

lightninhopkins said:
But don't you guys agree that the 8GB sticks of ram for $80 are dirt cheap? 4GB was $150 not too long ago. The CPU's at $2K each will maintain their value for at least one year, and drop slightly after that. It's going to be a while before Intel makes anything faster than this. At least 1-2 years. So I felt it was a safe investment, especially when I have other uses for it.

Yes. With 128GB you could run Lion from a ramdisk :)

I looked the pics, serious mobo there, looks like two glued together. I guess a lot of us are not familiar with server-class hardware.

lightninhopkins said:
Ha, just realized that 83K score is 12 procs at 10 cores. yup, that's basically the highest end machine for now.

I doubt that. I get 14800 with my Core i7-2700K running at 4.5GHz. I'm guessing with 4x the threads you'll get 50-60K. Worth a try.

wcg66 said:
lightninhopkins said:

I doubt that. I get 14800 with my Core i7-2700K running at 4.5GHz. I'm guessing with 4x the threads you'll get 50-60K. Worth a try.

This definitely needs the bios update that was sent to me from supermicro. It tested 13,000 on geekbench2. They mentioned the updated fixes speedstep, so I'm sure it has to be related. Otherwise, this is ridiculous. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back