Contribute
Register

1200-1500$ Developer-Machine (i7-4790k, Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 OC, Grafikkar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte - GA-B150M-D3H
CPU
Intel 6700K
Graphics
Gigabyte Gforce GTX960
Hello all!
I am studying Computer Science with a focus on hardware developing so I have to do a lot of compiling, simulating and CAS-work. Since certain simulations take forever on my mid 2009 MacBook Pro (which is hotter than hell while doing it) I thought of building myself a hackintosh, but can't go over 1500$ (I am buying in austria so make that 1200 euros).
Also, I would like to run Windows 8.1, Ubuntu and CentOS on the same machine (more Linux-flavours to be added). I will use the machine mostly for work but would like it to be also ready for some gaming (since my PS3 is down for maintenance every 3-4 weeks).
I thought of the following configuration and am looking for advice in compatibility, bang/buck ratio and general advice how to get more out of my money.
Thanks for the help!

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H (72.90 Euros)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k (314 Euros)

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 OC (179,90 Euros)

Case: Zalman T1 Plus (24,99 Euros)

Memory: G.Skill DIMM 16 GB DDR3-1600 (2x8 GB, 132,90 Euros) - Does it make sense taking 32GB?

Storage (3 SSDs and 1 HDD):
for Mac: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 128GB SSD (58,90 Euros)
for Win: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 128GB SSD (58,90 Euros)
for various Linux flavours: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 128GB SSD (58,90 Euros)
for Data: Intenso 2TB HDD (68,90 Euros)

Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart SE 530W (49,99 Euros)

Optical Drive: LG GH-24NS (14,99 Euros)

Wifi-Card: TP-LINK TL-WN851ND (13,99 Euros) - Is there a good bluetooth + Wifi card for Hackintosh out there?

Store: alternate.at

I thought the Z97 chipset is not supported very well in hackintosh? Am I wrong? Any other advantages of the Z97 board?
What about the other hardware? Do you think it will be fine?
Thanks for your reply!

also, do you think the skylake processors are worth a wait? I want my system to work as long as possible and intels new iteration should be released in like half a year from now. What are the chances they are supported on hackintosh right away? do you think they will be much more expensive?

I thought the Z97 chipset is not supported very well in hackintosh? Am I wrong? Any other advantages of the Z97 board?
What about the other hardware? Do you think it will be fine?
Thanks for your reply!

It's true that up till now there hasn't been a Mac using the Z97 chipset but that is likely to change
shortly. Until then you just need to check off a few selections in Multibeast to make it work. Z97
was designed specifically for Haswell refresh CPUs like the I7-4790K that's why it's going to be
best for your system. You will also be able to upgrade to Broadwell with a Z97 board, not so with a
B85M-D3H. Should be no problems with your other hardware.

well I think I'll have to wait a few paydays anyway, maybe the Z97 is supported till then.
I don't think the Broadwell chips would boost the performance that much, the reason I would wait for the skylake chips would be DDR4 support.
But I think I will go with this configuration, except I changed my mind about the case and the Power supply. I am now going with a Cooler Master Silencio 352 case (for the sound-damping) and a Corsair CS550M (80 plus gold) Power supply.
And thanks for your advise that the rest should work. I did not find much about the WiFi card and the DVD drive.

and are there any hackintosh compatible pci or pcie sound cards on the market? I listen to a lot of music and do some amateur recording so I need very good sound coming out of my computer. A card with a headphone preamp would be great.

Storage (3 SSDs and 1 HDD):
for Mac: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 128GB SSD (58,90 Euros)
for Win: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 128GB SSD (58,90 Euros)
for various Linux flavours: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 128GB SSD (58,90 Euros)
for Data: Intenso 2TB HDD (68,90 Euros)

If you are going to be running that many OSs, then suggest you consider
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990011
and/or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990001

and only have the drive for the OS you are currently working with in the build. I have found this is much easier than having all drives connected and trying to find a single boot loader for all OS or using the F hotkey to select a drive to boot from.
With both, you could have SSD for OS and a separate platter drive for each OS or you could just use the dual 2.5" adapter and use a SSD and a notebook drive like http://www.alternate.at/Samsung/HN-M201RAD-2-TB-Festplatte/html/product/1159589? for storage for each OS.

I don't want to have that many drives always lying around... I thought of installing a 3-way switch, so that all of them remain connected but only 1 is powered, depending on the position of the switch...
something like this, only selfmade> http://www.amazon.de/dp/B005NVU1S2/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

I don't want to have that many drives always lying around... I thought of installing a 3-way switch, so that all of them remain connected but only 1 is powered, depending on the position of the switch...
something like this, only selfmade> http://www.amazon.de/dp/B005NVU1S2/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

That would work, too, if you have room in the case for all the drives and enough SATA ports to leave the data cables to all the drives connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back