Contribute
Register

12 core "CustoMac Pro Socket 2011" for graphics and 3D work — will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac OS X
CPU
2x3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GR 512MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to Hackintosh. I have read through the Buyers Advice and I've read lots of topics here in the forums and I'm seriously thinking that a Hackintosh is the way to go for me..

I have a Mac Pro 2x3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (from 2008) that needs to be replaced. I am doing lots of 3D rendering (Cinema 4D, ZBrush, After Effects) and graphics/retouch work (Photoshop) and therefore I'm considering the "CustoMac Pro Socket 2011".

I've found most parts listed in the "Buyer's Guide March 2014", but I've made some changes that I would like to know if it's going to work with OS X and Mavericks? Biggest change is the 12-core Intel Xeon E5-2695 v2.

This machine will be used for professional work. I'm new to Hackintosh, but it seems here that it should work as a normal Mac.. Can I expect this to be as stable as an "original Mac Pro" (like the one I have) when everything has been installed or will there be constant "small errors" that I need to learn to live with? How long (approx) does it take to install everything and get it up and running — Is a weekend realistic or more like a month? If things don't work directly, will it work after some extra tweaks (with your help!) or am I risking to end up with $4500 of parts that will never work (=wasted money)?

Also, is it possible to build a DUAL CPU Hackintosh, why are they not listed anywhere?

Here is my list for the CustoMac Pro Socket 2011. Please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions that may be better.

Corsair Obsidian 550D Midi Tower

Intel Xeon E5-2695 v2 — 12 core

Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, Socket-2011

Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Kylare

ASUS GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB PhysX CUDA

Crucial DDR3 Ballistix Sport 1866MHz 32GB

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB BK OEM — boot disk and one extra as scratch disk (etc)

Seagate Barracuda® 1TB — two of these for storage (maybe bigger for RAID)

Corsair AX 760 PSU

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 11n Wireless Adapter

Many thanks!

The 12 Core Xeon you've selected is not supported with that motherboard. The best you can use is the 10 core Xeon E5-2680 V2. That will work with the F7 bios and the Rev. 1.1 version of the X79-UP4.

Here's the cpu support list for the Rev. 1.1 X79-UP4

TRS 2014-04-07 at 3.00.26 PM.jpg click on this image to enlarge.

If you get the Rev. 1.0 you'll have to return it for the 1.1 to use the 10 core Xeon CPU.

For a first time CustoMac builder the dual Xeon CPUs are much too complicated to
attempt, you'd end up doing a lot of this: :banghead: You can build an X79 socket 2011
CustoMac in a weekend and get it working if you follow one of the User/Golden build
guides. OS X now has some Ivy Bridge E/P support with 10.9.2 so there is no need to
modify the kernel. It takes some more effort and time than a socket 1150 Haswell build
but it's worth the effort to have a powerful CustoMac for your work.

Sorry for delay in answering. Thanks for your answer and the good advice re motherboard and CPU. I can't find the Rev 1.1 version where I would order the parts.. or maybe the 1.0 has been replaced (it just doesn't say Rev 1.1 anywhere)?

I will search for a "golden build" that suits my needs. Thanks!

Sorry for delay in answering. Thanks for your answer and the good advice re motherboard and CPU. I can't find the Rev 1.1 version where I would order the parts.. or maybe the 1.0 has been replaced (it just doesn't say Rev 1.1 anywhere)?

Gigabyte boards have the version number on the lower left corner of the board looking at the board with the CPU socket at the top and the back plate at the left.

You'll only find it printed on the Motherboard itself as GB mentioned. The seller will not know which
Rev. it is unless they pull it out of the box and look. I would buy from Amazon and just open it up
and look. If you have to RMA it then it doesn't cost you anything.

TRS 2014-04-07 at 11.08.35 AM.jpg You can sees it printed in the upper left corner of this pic.

Amazon.uk will ship to Sweden. Give them a try.

http://doesitshipto.com/does-amazon-ship-to-sweden/

That CPU will work with the entire ASUS P9X79 series if you cannot find the revision of that motherboard that you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back