Contribute
Register

11.4 Update Caused OpenCore patch for Intel I225-V 2.5GBe Controller Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update to BS 11.5 went smoothly with 2/3 reboots
The Nic is working
After a wake from a (deep) sleep, NIC isn't working anymore
Reboot : NIC still isn't working
Reset Nvram : NIC still isn't working
Reboot BS 11.4 BackUp : : NIC still isn't working
Upadating Opencore 071 : : NIC still isn't working
Any clue ?
thanks in advance
EDIT
"isn't working" means :
The proper Kext is loaded
An Ip is assigned just after the boot ➧ webpage start loading
but The I renew the bail in the network pref, the NIC lose its IP
Try changing SysPref > Network : Ethernet : Advanced... (lower right) : Hardware (tab) : Configure : Automatic vs Manually to see if this causes NIC to start working again.

Also read Dortania OC Guide regarding post-install and sleep/power-mgmt. There are a couple of system config vectors to examine...

Here are the guide's specific points on sleep and NICs:
NICs(network Interface Controllers) are fairly easy to fix with sleep, it's mainly the following:
  • Disable WakeOnLAN in the BIOS
    • Most systems will enter a sleep/wake loop with this enabled
  • Disable Wake for network access in macOS(SystemPreferences -> Power)
    • Seems to break on a lot of hacks

My kit's sleep has always been touchy, even after following a lot of lore. For example, it has to sleep twice to stay asleep, and when it wakes up USB-C ext-drive may disappear, but also no message of forced eject. I just avoid sleep because this is a desktop and not being the most frugal with power has no discernible downside fo me. But I can relate to wanting all the systems functions to work properly.

Update to BS 11.5 went smoothly with 2/3 reboots
The Nic is working
After a wake from a (deep) sleep, NIC isn't working anymore
Reboot : NIC still isn't working
Reset Nvram : NIC still isn't working
Reboot BS 11.4 BackUp : : NIC still isn't working
Upadating Opencore 071 : : NIC still isn't working
Any clue ?
thanks in advance
EDIT
"isn't working" means :
The proper Kext is loaded
An Ip is assigned just after the boot ➧ webpage start loading
but The I renew the bail in the network pref, the NIC lose its IP
Try to disable both the Kernel patch and the two FakePCIID Intel-I-225V kexts
since Big Sur 11.4 supports the Intel 2.5Gbe cards natively.

Try changing SysPref > Network : Ethernet : Advanced... (lower right) : Hardware (tab) : Configure : Automatic vs Manually to see if this causes NIC to start working again.
Okay that trick works :thumbup:
Now I remember to already did something like that :|
Also read Dortania OC Guide regarding post-install and sleep/power-mgmt. There are a couple of system config vectors to examine...

I'll have a eye on that
Here are the guide's specific points on sleep and NICs:
All are already done
Thanks again
My kit's sleep has always been touchy, even after following a lot of lore. For example, it has to sleep twice to stay asleep, and when it wakes up USB-C ext-drive may disappear, but also no message of forced eject. I just avoid sleep because this is a desktop and not being the most frugal with power has no discernible downside fo me. But I can relate to wanting all the systems functions to work properly.

Last edited:
Try to disable both the Kernel patch and the two FakePCIID Intel-I-225V kexts
since Big Sur 11.4 supports the Intel 2.5Gbe cards natively.
Yep I only use the boot-arg.... since it has been mentioned in this thread
thanks

@c-o-pr Do you know WHY exactly "Try changing SysPref > Network : Ethernet : Advanced... (lower right) : Hardware (tab) : Configure : Automatic vs Manually" Works ?

I have to choose the correct "speed" to make it work. Like Autoselect Speed isn't working
EDIT
in the DUPLEX menu : As soon as I select an "energy-efficient-ethernet" (Third & Fourth option).... it stops working
In the SPEED menu : As soon as I select "autoselect" it disable the DUPLEX menu. May be then an "energy-efficient-ethernet" is set by default ?

Last edited:
Which USB kext are you using? Is it USBInjectAll? If so you'll need to enable XHCIPortLimit.

For the NVME, you may also need to add SSDT-NVMe.aml in addition.

Attachments

• SSDT-NVME.aml
    281 bytes · Views: 49
@c-o-pr Do you know WHY exactly "Try changing SysPref > Network : Ethernet : Advanced... (lower right) : Hardware (tab) : Configure : Automatic vs Manually" Works ?
No

But I discovered this trick a long time ago on a 2008 Mac Pro (currently running Catalina) where ethernet seizes spontaneously. This has been a minor problem for years, but lately it's gotten worse since I run new hack alongside the 2008 on LAN and share between them. My boxes are linked by an Asus RT-AC68U. The problem pre-exists this specific router model. And I have serveral other devices including Macs, hacks, and phoned on same network but they never seize, unless talking to the Mac Pro.

I've seen it stop during a file transfer, then stop at same point in a retransfer, then work the 3rd time. This makes me think that certain data patterns cause the seize.

To be clear, in my case it's usually the old 2008 Mac that sticks. It started many OS revs ago, like around El Capitan. Lately its gotten worse, but lately I'm doing much more LAN drive sharing than ever before.

I've seen it on the new hack too. The new hack got more reliable when I set Manual interface config and disabled latest "energy" features on its ports. The 2008 doesn't have these features... It's the 2008 that's the most glitchy.

It also affects both ports equally on the 2008 Mac Pro and the hack.

The problem is very inconsistent, but has increased the more I use the net over the years.

My wild guess is that its a long-standing edge-case bug in macOS.

No

But I discovered this trick a long time ago on a 2008 Mac Pro (currently running Catalina) where ethernet seizes spontaneously. This has been a minor problem for years, but lately it's gotten worse since I run new hack alongside the 2008 on LAN and share between them. My boxes are linked by an Asus RT-AC68U. The problem pre-exists this specific router model. And I have serveral other devices including Macs, hacks, and phoned on same network but they never seize, unless talking to the Mac Pro.

I've seen it stop during a file transfer, then stop at same point in a retransfer, then work the 3rd time. This makes me think that certain data patterns cause the seize.

To be clear, in my case it's usually the old 2008 Mac that sticks. It started many OS revs ago, like around El Capitan. Lately its gotten worse, but lately I'm doing much more LAN drive sharing than ever before.

I've seen it on the new hack too. The new hack got more reliable when I set Manual interface config and disabled latest "energy" features on its ports. The 2008 doesn't have these features... It's the 2008 that's the most glitchy.

It also affects both ports equally on the 2008 Mac Pro and the hack.

The problem is very inconsistent, but has increased the more I use the net over the years.

My wild guess is that its a long-standing edge-case bug in macOS.
Many thanks

Damn, I cannot get it to work. I'm on BS 11.4 + OC 0.7.2 running on a AUS ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI motherboard, which has a single i225-V port.

I have:
Disabled both FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext in config.plist (and removed the kexts from EFI folder)
Removed the I225-V patch from config.plist
Added "dk.e1000=0" to boot-args
Reset NVRAM upon OC boot

When BigSur has booted and I check the Network system panel, I get a correct IP address via DHCP, the router IP is correct etc, still, the internet is not working.

I even tried to change the Ethernet Hardware tab setting from Automatic to Manually, but no dice.

If I try to renew DHCP Lease, the connection will eventually brake and go into a "Self-Assigned IP" mode.

Note: Ethernet works 100% fine in Windows 10.

Can anyone help? Much appreciated.

Config.plist + screenshots attached.

Attachments

• config.plist
    26.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 03.46.48.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 03.46.48.png
    293.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 03.45.31.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 03.45.31.png
    269.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 03.45.24.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 03.45.24.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Damn, I cannot get it to work. I'm on BS 11.4 + OC 0.7.2 running on a AUS ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI motherboard, which has a single i225-V port.

I have:
Disabled both FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext in config.plist (and removed the kexts from EFI folder)
Removed the I225-V patch from config.plist
Added "dk.e1000=0" to boot-args
Reset NVRAM upon OC boot

When BigSur has booted and I check the Network system panel, I get a correct IP address via DHCP, the router IP is correct etc, still, the internet is not working.

I even tried to change the Ethernet Hardware tab setting from Automatic to Manually, but no dice.
Manually AND No DUPLEX menu "low-energy-ethernet" option selected
If I try to renew DHCP Lease, the connection with eventually brake and go into a "Self-Assigned IP" mode.

Note: Ethernet works 100% fine in Windows 10.

Can anyone help? Much appreciated.

Config.plist + screenshots attached.

Side note about your config.plist :
You shouldn't have itlwm.kext & AirportItlwm.kext enabled at the same time ... I read this somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back