Contribute
Register

11.4 Update Caused OpenCore patch for Intel I225-V 2.5GBe Controller Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B760I Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-14600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
The update was smooth with OC 0.6.9. However, after the update, the OpenCore patch for my Intel's I225-V 2.5GBe network controller stopped working. I could no longer connect to the network through Intel's built-in I225-V network port. Had to use the less efficient FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext for my I225-V NIC to function. Below is the OpenCore NIC patch that had been working flawlessly before the update:

(The patch below successfully tricked Apple's built-in I225LM driver into supporting my I225-V NIC until the update today)
Base/String/ __Z18e1000_set_mac_typeP8e1000_hw
Comment/String/I225-V patch
Enabled/Boolean/True
Find/Data/F2150000
Identifier/String/com.apple.driver.AppleIntelI210Ethernet
MinKernel/String/19.0.0
Replace/Data/F3150000

The update was smooth with OC 0.6.9. However, after the update, the OpenCore patch for my Intel's I225-V 2.5GBe network controller stopped working. I could no longer connect to the network through Intel's built-in I225-V network port. Had to use the less efficient FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext for my I225-V NIC to function. Below is the OpenCore NIC patch that had been working flawlessly before the update:

(The patch below successfully tricked Apple's built-in I225LM driver into supporting my I225-V NIC until the update today)
Base/String/ __Z18e1000_set_mac_typeP8e1000_hw
Comment/String/I225-V patch
Enabled/Boolean/True
Find/Data/F2150000
Identifier/String/com.apple.driver.AppleIntelI210Ethernet
MinKernel/String/19.0.0
Replace/Data/F3150000
The FakePCIID approach is not less efficient. It simply instructs macOS to attach the AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext to our I-225V port. This is a one-time attachment done during early stage of boot. All kexts work in this manner, by associating specific Device IDs (IOPrimaryMatch or PCIPrimaryMatch) to specific drivers.

For more details on why the binary patch no longer works in 11.4 (and will not work in 11.4) please see:

A situation with hanging during 11.4 upgrade and crashing upon reaching desktop is resolved for me as discussed above by @yyymmm and @CaseySJ:

Specifically @CaseySJ comments per an 11.4 beta "Details on why the [i225_V] binary patch no longer works in 11.4".

By moving away from vit9696 i225_V LAN patch and using FakePCIID.ext + FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V as described above, system comes right up.

A situation with hanging during 11.4 upgrade and crashing upon reaching desktop is resolved for me as discussed above by @yyymmm and @CaseySJ:

Specifically @CaseySJ comments per an 11.4 beta "Details on why the [i225_V] binary patch no longer works in 11.4".

By moving away from vit9696 i225_V LAN patch and using FakePCIID.ext + FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V as described above, system comes right up.
hey i have the same problem but i am already using the fakePciid method. it crashes during the update. then i remove the pci path to the ethernet on the config plist. then i was able to finish the install. but every time i enter the password and login it cresses. do u have any device property defined in config for the Ethernet controller? or just have fake pcids

hey i have the same problem but i am already using the fakePciid method. it crashes during the update. then i remove the pci path to the ethernet on the config plist. then i was able to finish the install. but every time i enter the password and login it cresses. do u have any device property defined in config for the Ethernet controller? or just have fake pcids
FakePCIID requires us to add the fake device ID F2150000 as shown:
Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 2.00.03 PM.png

FakePCIID requires us to add the fake device ID F2150000 as shown:
View attachment 519711
I had that defined in config in mac os 11.3. but with that 11.4 instal was keep crashing. after i removed that, it allows me to continue. if i had that in config the system go straight to kernel panic. if i remove it, it will reach until login screen then freeze and crash. i was thinking i might defined the pci path wrong but it was working perfect in mac os 11.3. i am really confused. i also tried to install mac os11.3 in different drive and then try to update to 11.4. it was same story

The FakePCIID approach is not less efficient. It simply instructs macOS to attach the AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext to our I-225V port. This is a one-time attachment done during early stage of boot. All kexts work in this manner, by associating specific Device IDs (IOPrimaryMatch or PCIPrimaryMatch) to specific drivers.

For more details on why the binary patch no longer works in 11.4 (and will not work in 11.4) please see:

Thanks. Great post.

Last edited:
I had that defined in config in mac os 11.3. but with that 11.4 instal was keep crashing. after i removed that, it allows me to continue. if i had that in config the system go straight to kernel panic. if i remove it, it will reach until login screen then freeze and crash. i was thinking i might defined the pci path wrong but it was working perfect in mac os 11.3. i am really confused. i also tried to install mac os11.3 in different drive and then try to update to 11.4. it was same story
FakePCIID has not been an issue for me with 11.0 through 11.5 Beta. If you applied the vit9696 binary patch, have you turned it off?

FakePCIID has not been an issue for me with 11.0 through 11.5 Beta. If you applied the vit9696 binary patch, have you turned it off?
I have never used the vit9696 binary patch in first place. i was using the FakePCIID since the Beginning. I also tried booting with the EFI you Posted in the Vision D thread. That attempt also give same kernel panic. You think, this issue might be specific to the motherboard. Thank you

Last edited:
Hi Casey
after long trials and error i figured out that keeping VT-D disbale causing the panic. when i enable VT-D it boots fine. However, when i enable VT-d, the wifi stoped working. i tried

Vtd enable= system boot fine but no wifi
Vtd disbale= panic/sytem keep restrt - wifi work
VTD enbele+ enable disableiomaper= panic/sytem keep restrt - wifi work
Vtd disable + enable disableiomaper = panic/system keep restart - wifi work
also when put Dart=0 system panic but wifi works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back