Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Z390
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB
When I am running the auto update check it is coming back saying that there are no updates available to my current 11.0.1. With no direct access to combo updates is there a work around to force the update without needing to download the 11.2.1 full install from the app store?

I eventually got the update to show up by changing the config.plist setting for csr-active-config. The update runs and does the reboot where it then takes about 10 min to complete. Upon completion the OS is still at 11.0.1 and the update shows as available. In other words, it went through the entire update process but did not upgrade the OS. Any help appreciated.

Running OC 0.66 with all the latest kexts. Can post EFI if needed

Last edited:
You may need to select a correct partition manually on the boot menu.

You may need to select a correct partition manually on the boot menu.
Which boot menu? I don't have any issues booting to 11.0.1. It's just the update to 11.2.1 that is failing

Which boot menu? I don't have any issues booting to 11.0.1. It's just the update to 11.2.1 that is failing
Clover or OpenCore menu

I eventually went the route of a full install from USB. Everything else I tried did not update from 11.0.1 to 11.2.1. It would look like it downloaded the update, do the install, reboot, continue the install and then show the GUI. Every time the system would report 11.0.1 and the 11.2.1 update available

Every time the system would report 11.0.1 and the 11.2.1 update available
Common case for me, all my unsupported hacks (AMD/Celeron/Pentium) had this issue (randomly not every time) from 11.1 up, no matter what kind of boot loader are using.

The best way is create a simplest config.plist and use SMBIOS MacPro7,1 which does not need any Lilu + its plugins at all, only use FakeSMC (Rehabman version) + lan kext for update/upgrade, it always work for me after update/upgrade failed.

1, press shift + winkey + . to reveal hidden folder, /com.apple.installer must be deleted from /System/Volumes/Preboot/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx, after update/upgrade is failed, otherwise no way to update/upgrade.

2, use mini config.plist for update/upgrade.

Common case for me, all my unsupported hacks (AMD/Celeron/Pentium) had this issue (randomly not every time) from 11.1 up, no matter what kind of boot loader are using.

The best way is create a simplest config.plist and use SMBIOS MacPro7,1 which does not need any Lilu + its plugins at all, only use FakeSMC (Rehabman version) + lan kext for update/upgrade, it always work for me after update/upgrade failed.

1, press shift + winkey + . to reveal hidden folder, /com.apple.installer must be deleted from /System/Volumes/Preboot/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx, after update/upgrade is failed, otherwise no way to update/upgrade.

2, use mini config.plist for update/upgrade.
Definitely will keep note of this for future use. The thing is that if you look at my specs this is a very commonly used MB from Gigabyte to hack. Lots of guides on how to make this work and almost vanilla. I have never had any issue updating prior with essentially the same config.plist file in place.

The thing is that if you look at my specs this is a very commonly used MB from Gigabyte to hack. Lots of guides on how to make this work and almost vanilla.

Issue just started from Big Sur 11.1, should no relevant to unsupported or vanilla system.

For troubleshooting, config / patches / kexts and ssdt files, less and simply are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back