Contribute
Register

10th Gen Intel core i5 and Z490 motherboard (Catalina install?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490m GamingX
CPU
i5 10500
Graphics
RX460
Mac
  1. iMac
I'm using the following hardware and want to get it to run OS 10.16 Catalina:
  • Gigabyte Z490M Gaming X Motherboard: here. <--$150
  • Intel 10th Gen i5 10500 processor: here. <--$202 (now $240)
  • Patriot DDR4 PC3200 2x16 GB of RAM: here. <--$124
  • PNY M.2 500 GB Hard Drive: here. <--$70
  • Gigabyte RX460 2GB model: here (I bought this about 1 1/2 years ago on a Black Friday sale at Frys) <--was around $150 if I remember right.

So, I have everything in the case and powered up running Windows...until I can get the UniBeast for Catalina USB stick to boot past the Apple logo.

If anyone has success with the 10th Gen i5 10500 and Catalina, please let me know.

Last edited:
Update: I'm still scouring the internet, and am not finding much. It looks like the Gen 11 Intel chips are coming out. Has anybody gotten this hardware to work?

I'm using the following hardware and want to get it to run OS 10.16 Catalina:
  • Gigabyte Z490M Gaming X Motherboard: here. <--$150
  • Intel 10th Gen i5 10500 processor: here. <--$202 (now $240)
  • Patriot DDR4 PC3200 2x16 GB of RAM: here. <--$124
  • PNY M.2 500 GB Hard Drive: here. <--$70
  • Gigabyte RX460 2GB model: here (I bought this about 1 1/2 years ago on a Black Friday sale at Frys) <--was around $150 if I remember right.

So, I have everything in the case and powered up running Windows...until I can get the UniBeast for Catalina USB stick to boot past the Apple logo.

If anyone has success with the 10th Gen i5 10500 and Catalina, please let me know.

You can't use Unibeast as the version of Clover it uses does not work with Z490 and the 10th generation CPUs.

You may need to switch to OpenCore as the bootloader to install and run Catalina.

I used the OpenCore method and got everything running, but it was having a ton of errors in the console. So, I'm trying again more carefully paying attention to more-manual-than-automated method.

Currently, I'm trying to learn more about the values I need to include in the config.plist in order to get everything working right.

Can someone refer me to where I can find what "PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)" means? It showed up after doing my initial "OC Snapshot" compilation.

For video, I'm using my Radeon as my main video, and using my processor graphics for a secondary monitor tht I'll plug in sometimes.
For audio, I have ALC1200, but don't know which configuration to use or even how to put it in the right format in the config.plist.
I have my Gigabyte Radeon RX460 2GB in PCI slot 1. (has HDMI, Display Port, and DVI with Display Port typically used)
I am using my USB3 internal connections as well.

Any tips on what I need to do for this configuration would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back