Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good afternoon

As some of my devices are already 10GB capable I would like to know what the current state is in regards of compatible 10GB PCIe adapters in Catalina.

So far I have the two choices:

• Asus XG-C100F (cheaper)
  • Sonnet G10E-SFP-1X-E3 (long delivery times here)

Read here that some patching is required for the XG-C100F card here...but those threads are from 2018....so maybe it has changed to better.

thanks in advance
richard

I use a Syba SD-PEX24055. It works OOB and was just plug-n-play.

Hmmm...seems to be unavailable in my country.....but uses a similar chipset as the XG-C100F and the same as the XG-C100C.
Maybe I should just go with the XG-C100F and in worst case use it for another machine...

But looks like Syba has no SFP+ version....

Hmmm...seems to be unavailable in my country.....but uses a similar chipset as the XG-C100F and the same as the XG-C100C.
Maybe I should just go with the XG-C100F and in worst case use it for another machine...

But looks like Syba has no SFP+ version....

Be careful with the Asus card. They need a firmware flash from a very specific version of macOS. Even with the flash, it only works with two Clover KextsToPatches. Search around for posts about that card from early adaptors.

So the Sonnet would be the best choice for me than....as they offer macOS drivers on their site....though it is 50% more expensive and takes longer to ship...

So the Sonnet would be the best choice for me than....as they offer macOS drivers on their site....though it is 50% more expensive and takes longer to ship...

It should not require any additional drivers. The drivers included in macOS should be enough.

You can also look in to the Synology card. I've read success stories with that card.

Have you considered Intel X520? I'm using one along with FakePCDIID, FakePCIID_Intel_GbX and SmallTreeIntel82576 kexts.

Hmm..aren't they all PCIe x 8 cards?
Only have a PCIe x 4 slot left....

Or maybe rebuild my old machine and go with a Z390 mobo that has 10G...but then they are all copper only....

Hmm..aren't they all PCIe x 8 cards?
Only have a PCIe x 4 slot left....
The Intel, for one, will work, with very good throughput. I have run an X540 in a x4 slot on a Z170 board. My network-geek friend, who configures very high-end pipelines for the visual effects industry, was not troubled in the slightest by the apparent mismatch. Otherwise I think the Sonnet is your best bet since you don't have to hack anything to get it to work.

I use a Syba SD-PEX24055. It works OOB and was just plug-n-play.

Curious to know what you are using for a 10G switch? I'm looking to go this route now because my Solarflare cards are flaky in Catalina. Any 10G switches I've looked at seem to have very expensive 10G RJ transceivers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back