Contribute
Register

100Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
<< need manufacturer name and model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
I5 2300
Graphics
GTX 460
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi All, I'm just quickly asking why I OSX will only out put at 60hz max? My desk top Hack is by todays standards pretty outdated (i5 2.9 SB, GTX 460 1GB, 8gb of 1333) But it seems to me like it should be capable of it. The main reason I would love it to run 100Hz is I live in a Dorm type situation and i have it hooked up to my (2y old price at the time $999) LG TV. So as I use VLC for all my playback of everything I can only assume its throttled to 60Hz?

Im not expecting a way around this but any input would be great.

Em XoXo

Hi All, I'm just quickly asking why I OSX will only out put at 60hz max? My desk top Hack is by todays standards pretty outdated (i5 2.9 SB, GTX 460 1GB, 8gb of 1333) But it seems to me like it should be capable of it. The main reason I would love it to run 100Hz is I live in a Dorm type situation and i have it hooked up to my (2y old price at the time $999) LG TV. So as I use VLC for all my playback of everything I can only assume its throttled to 60Hz?

Im not expecting a way around this but any input would be great.

Em XoXo

100Hz, 200Hz, 400Hz and 800Hz technology is actually used in the screen. It is a software illusion - the way it works is the software within the screen video circuitry inserts extra duplicate frames of video to create the illusion of better flowing video. There is plenty confusion around this but higher numbers are more of a marketing gimmick than any real benefit to the consumer. DVD and Blueray players often come with a 24 frames per second option - many, but not all TVs are also able to handle 24 fps as that is the native number of frames used in the industry.

I prefer the lower fps screen options as when I view video on higher Hz settings I am seeing what the software is doing - it creates more judder in the image and does not appear realistic. Some will disagree with me and say it is smother.

Adrian B

100Hz, 200Hz, 400Hz and 800Hz technology is actually used in the screen. It is a software illusion - the way it works is the software within the screen video circuitry inserts extra duplicate frames of video to create the illusion of better flowing video. There is plenty confusion around this but higher numbers are more of a marketing gimmick than any real benefit to the consumer. DVD and Blueray players often come with a 24 frames per second option - many, but not all TVs are also able to handle 24 fps as that is the native number of frames used in the industry.

I prefer the lower fps screen options as when I view video on higher Hz settings I am seeing what the software is doing - it creates more judder in the image and does not appear realistic. Some will disagree with me and say it is smother.

Adrian B

I had a Boxee Box, wish I kept it. I just notice a big difference when I play back from the "iMac" vs directly plugging in a USB.. But not every file is supported native by the TV.. Might try an Apple TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back