Motherboard
Lenovo LNVNB161216
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620 (3840x2160)
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I originally used the -Beast tools and built myself a lovely Mavericks desktop. It wouldn't sleep (or rather would, then wake up with corrupted memory) but otherwise all was dandy. Then I tried to upgrade to Yosemite. Series of fails followed. The computer would have kernel panics at startup and shutdown, or wouldn't shut down at all. Here's the rundown of all that went bad with it.

So I decided to give Clover a try. I used tonymacx86's guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html. Thanks to the guide, it was much easier than I expected. And all was good and well except for the fact the computer wouldn't perform a clean shutdown or reboot. It would LOOK like it's rebooting, but I would get the "System shut down because of an error...", and the only way I could really shut it down was to press the power button for 10 seconds.

My savior have been the Nvidia drivers. Initially they drove me crazy because 10.10.3 drivers wouldn't install on 10.10.3. But, then Nvidia put up updated drivers for the 10.10.3 incremental update, and I struck gold. Problems solved.

Using Clover Configurator I did the following:
  • Acpi: FixShutdown, SlpSmiAtWake -- necessary to ensure sound sleep. (Possibly FixShutdown is redundant, but didn't check. It doesn't break anything in any case.)
  • Boot: nvda_drv=1
  • NO NVIDIA INJECT -- switches the computer to VGA output and you end up with a blank screen (computer is booting properly, but so what)
  • iMac 14,1 build (correct for the 4770s processor). 14,2 works too, didn't notice any difference.
  • Toleda drivers for my BCM4352 card plus this patch (use Terminal):

Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x01\x58\x54|\x01\x58\x58|g' /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcm4360

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Those settings + latest Nvidia drivers = 100% functional 10.10.3 Big Hac. Long-term sleep works. Shutdown, reboot work. My Magic Mouse FINALLY works (it never did on 10.9 -- oddly it would work for about a minute, then start jumping around the screen, no matter what I tried). Thanks to my SSD drive it's also blazing fast at startup.

Thanks go to: Tony (obviously), Stork (although his advice didn't work for me, it allowed me to rule out a lot of problems), Toleda, sailor25462 and arsradu.

Have you had issues with freezing? Mine freezes pretty regularly if I have an externa hard drive plugged in through any of the USB ports. I'm beginning to think it may be a hardware issue. How can I test this out? This is killing me since I plan to do video work and it's pretty much necessary to work off external hard drives. Haven't found much help at all on this matter for a few months now.:cry:

Helo
When you say "the latest Nvidia driver", do you mean to "Nvidia web driver"?

@navaira
Your title says you've got the GT 740 and your profile says GT 640. Which one do you actually have ?
No matter which one of the two cards you have installed, you don't actually need to install any Nvidia
web drivers for those two cards. Can you explain why you did this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back