Contribute
Register

100 series motherboards with native NVRAM support?

do you use native NVRAM on your Hackintosh?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600
UPDATE: thanks to RehabMan. i assume the native NVRAM support is now available with AptioMemoryFix.efi on 100/200/300 series mobos.

With AptioMemoryFix.efi instead of OsxAptioFix*.efi, you can likely get native NVRAM working (eg. working NVRAM without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi).

original post:

i see some forum posts saying "Gigabyte 100 series motherboards" don't support native NVRAM.

are there known 100 series motherboards with native NVRAM support? ASUS, MSI, ASRock?

i'm looking for 100 series ATX/ITX motherboards with native NVRAM support in the $100 to $200 range.

Last edited:
hmm... is everybody using EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi/RC-scripts on 100 series motherboard?

I find it hard to believe that 100 Series Skylake boards don't have native UEFI support. The problem might be that certain SSDs won't boot, especially if they are m.2 (usually controlled by a non-Intel controller) or NVME drives. You'd have to look at the mobo motherboard carefully to ascertain which ports are controlled by which controller chips. So, make sure that before buying a mobo you download the manual, see what chips control which USB and SATA ports, see what memory can be installed and what CPUs and SATA and NVME drives are supported.

Maybe you are referring to the NVME drive problems on some Gigabyte boards, like the Gaming 7, that are either not seen or are not bootable. All I can say is that ASRock makes a big (?) deal of advertising that their m.2 slots are bootable. I don't really know what that means though because some drives supposedly are not bootable in the first place.

Last edited:
i'm not having any issues since i don't have any 100 series motherboard "yet". i'm looking for buying advice.

is anybody successfully using a native NVRAM (meaning no EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi/RC-scripts) on a 100 series motherboard? if so, which motherboard is it?

I confirm that my Gigabyte H170m –d3h no nvram.
It caused me the problem that Nvdia Webdriver does not load.
After using Clover to include EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi/RC-scripts solves my problem.
It takes a long time for me to find out this problem.
Hope my sharing helps other shorten the painful searching for solution.

I find it hard to believe that 100 Series Skylake boards don't have native UEFI support. The problem might be that certain SSDs won't boot, especially if they are m.2 (usually controlled by a non-Intel controller) or NVME drives. You'd have to look at the mobo motherboard carefully to ascertain which ports are controlled by which controller chips. So, make sure that before buying a mobo you download the manual, see what chips control which USB and SATA ports, see what memory can be installed and what CPUs and SATA and NVME drives are supported.

Maybe you are referring to the NVME drive problems on some Gigabyte boards, like the Gaming 7, that are either not seen or are not bootable. All I can say is that ASRock makes a big (?) deal of advertising that their m.2 slots are bootable. I don't really know what that means though because some drives supposedly are not bootable in the first place.

He is not asking about UEFI. Im pretty sure all 100 series boards have UEFI. What we are talking about is NVRAM which is where OS X stores some variables like boot-args. If you do no have NVRAM support then the NVIDIA Driver Manager will always say you are using the OS X Default Graphics Driver because it cannot find the boot-arg nvda_drv=1 stored in NVRAM. In macOS Sierra though the there is no boot-arg stored in the NVRAM.

does anybody know why 100 series motherboards don't support a native NVRAM? assuming "all" 100 series motherboards don't support a native NVRAM.

1. lack of support from UEFI on the motherboard?
2. lack of support from the Clover bootloader?
3. something else?

All of my boards i have here are using Native NVRAM don't have no problems which I'm pretty surprised that on every boot MLB & ROM is the same. Some boards just don't work with Native NVRAM. But when i had my Z77-DS3H board that was a very different story.

i'm looking for 100 series Skylake motherboards. looks like you have 90 series (Haswell) motherboards.

i'm looking for 100 series Skylake motherboards. looks like you have 90 series (Haswell) motherboards.

Yep but not just 100 Series motherboards have the problem. You might be better just using EmuVaribles just be on the safe side anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back