Contribute
Register

100 % Passive cooled Custom Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
related (to the topic):
It looks nice. Do they have an AMD graphics option for these ?
I would not be enthused about buying this and then having to follow a 22 step unboxing and assembly guide.
If paying this much money I'd expect it to be ready to use out of the box.

Last edited:
There seams to be a diy case available and a full built.
Anyways, I woulad rather built a full ATX than those mini stuff.

NOFAN CPU cooler Related :
Unfortunately, NOFAN cooler is not compatible with Intel i9 CPU.
Now we are running only CR-80EH, but it support TDP up to 80W.

If you'd like to use our cooler,
please consider other CPU such as 8th generation or 9th generation (i7/i5/i3 CPU without K)!

This is a really interesting thread. One thing that occurs to me though is that the goal of completely passive is hard to achieve given the way a computer is built. The components may indeed be passive BUT air still needs to move through their heat-sinks, or over surfaces, to dissipate heat.

Remember "still air" is one of the best insulators. Not good for heat removal. The trash-can MacPro is a hybrid design of chimney and fans. In no way passive but it's power to quietness ratio is because of the design.

So we need a temperature gradient to get air moving on its own. However hot components low down in a build will naturally warm-up everything else higher-up in the system due to convection and the time the machine is running.:rolleyes:

So logically the best way to go completely passive is a big, open chassis where no one component is above another, all set out in a slightly draughty room! How about the dining-room table with all the windows open?

Okay, okay. Scrub that and go back to the beginning!

:)

I personally think Apple is executing a corporate grievance against Nvidia for previous failures. Apple is not a normal company, pretty much everyone agrees that.

Here is the deal even though this is off topic of the thread. AMD lets apple have full control of the driver. Nivida does not want to give apple control of the driver and Nivida does not want to make the driver per what apple wants. This does not bode well with apple so they told Nvidia to go F themselves and used AMD who said do what ever the hell you want. AMD does not write the driver for OSX the driver is apples own home grown driver. It is all about control and if apple can not control what you are doing with stuff in their hardware than they will choose not to need you.

Remember "still air" is one of the best insulators. Not good for heat removal. The trash-can MacPro is a hybrid design of chimney and fans. In no way passive but it's power to quietness ratio is because of the design.

:)

Even when you got the fan going full speed it was still much more quiet then a standard CPU fan. I think there was a few 3d printed Trashcan Hacks but even those had a Fan or two.

This is a really interesting thread. One thing that occurs to me though is that the goal of completely passive is hard to achieve given the way a computer is built. The components may indeed be passive BUT air still needs to move through their heat-sinks, or over surfaces, to dissipate heat.
Thats why a bigger (than trashcan) chimney case supposed to work better.

So we need a temperature gradient to get air moving on its own. However hot components low down in a build will naturally warm-up everything else higher-up in the system

Maybe multiple zones ('chimneys') might help.
The gpu, cpu and psu get their own thermal exhaust (chimney) so that they can't heat up each other.
It would be interesting to experiment with the chimney effect and airflow and which dimensions are needed to get make it most effective without even a fan or at least a slow running or thermal activated.

It looks nice. Do they have an AMD graphics option for these ?
I would not be enthused about buying this and then having to follow a 22 step unboxing and assembly guide.
If paying this much money I'd expect it to be ready to use out of the box.

I asked them if they plan to offer a fullsize atx build, they answered that it is already designed and that they hope to launch an ATX version end of the year.

Here we go, there is progress !

at Computex 2019 Noctua is showing off a prototype fanless heatsink which it claims can passively cool an Intel Core i9-9900K. That's an eight-core processor running at up to 5GHz with a TDP of 95 watts. Noctua tested its new heatsink by using it to cool a 9900K in the hot conditions of the Computex show floor for several hours. Apparently it happily sat at 95 degrees throughout.

Source: https://www.pcmag.com/news/368614/noctuas-1-5kg-fanless-heatsink-cools-a-core-i9-9900k

Image Source:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back