Contribute
Register

100 % Passive cooled Custom Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
@pastrychef this article from Apple Insider disagrees with you and puts the blame fully on Apple. The writers claim to have spoken to "several dozen" Apple devs.

Their logic makes sense to me & was what I was thinking. Apple is preventing Nvidia from releasing drivers after HS.

Your logic makes no sense to me. Why would Nvidia lie and lose (some) market share to AMD?

The only one who can prevent Nvidia from releasing web drivers is Nvidia.

No. Apple can revoke Nvidia's signature. Apple can also use other ways to prevent Nvidia drivers from installing/running. Apple owns the OS that hosts the card. Obviously Apple has told Nvidia to stop releasing web drivers and Nvidia has stopped. Which means Apple is to blame. The AI article gives credible reasons as to why this might be.

I repeat: your logic makes no sense. Why would Nvidia lie on its website?

Last edited:
@pastrychef this article from Apple Insider disagrees with you and puts the blame fully on Apple. The writers claim to have spoken to "several dozen" Apple devs.

View attachment 399316

Their logic makes sense to me & was what I was thinking. Apple is either using legal threats or withholding technical advice or otherwise preventing Nvidia from releasing drivers after HS.

Your logic makes no sense to me. Why would Nvidia lie and lose (some) market share to AMD?

The first part of that article discusses the history between Apple and Nvidia.

The second part of that article is just quoting the same post from the Nvidia forum. Neither us nor William Gallagher and Mike Wuerthele from appleinsider truly know how much TomK@Nvidia knows. As far as I can tell, he's nothing more than a forum mod.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 7.55.11 AM.png
Then there's the post by TomK@Nvidia:
Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 8.12.05 AM.png
Of course, "Apple fully controls drivers for Mac OS." Who else would have control of which drivers are shipped with macOS? As for "Unfortunately, NVIDIA currently cannot release a driver unless it is approved by Apple.", this is complete nonsense and I explained my views on that comment on post #51.

As far as I'm concerned, what this guy TomK@Nvidia said holds less weight than the statement from the Apple employee. Plus, the Apple employee gave permission to be quoted as an "official Apple response".

Also, why hasn't TomK@Nvidia given any sort of update to the situation???

The final part of the article, "Inside Apple", is what they two authors claim to have gathered from a few unnamed sources. I do not doubt that Apple does not want Nvidia GPUs in Macs. This is clearly evident in every Mac that has been released in the last few years. I think the last Mac that shipped with an Nvidia GPU was back in 2014 and it's unlikely that we will see any Nvidia GPUs in any Macs for the foreseeable future. This is no secret. We all know this.

Then, it goes on to talk about eGPU and right in to blaming Apple. The Mojave beta was released almost a year ago. The APIs are there. Nvidia has an Apple Developer ID. Apple is not going to write drivers for Nvidia. They have to do it themselves. Cuda uses a tightly held proprietary driver and Apple couldn't write drivers for them if they wanted to. As we know, Cuda was never shipped with macOS, but nothing stopped Nvidia from releasing Cuda drivers on their own.

Once again, if I ran Nvidia and Apple told me I am not allowed to release Mojave drivers, I'd tell them to #&@% themselves. Why would I sacrifice sales and abandon my users just because Apple tells me to??? Nvidia doesn't need "permission" to release drivers. Any attempt by Apple to prevent Nvidia from releasing drivers can be construed as anti-competitive and would open up Apple to (1) government scrutiny and (2) a lawsuit from Nvidia.

@pastrychef you didn't answer my question. You're saying Nvidia is lying on its corporate website. Why do you think that is?

Seems obvious to me that Apple told them to stop after HS and, after weighing up the chances of a legal challenge etc etc, Nvidia complied. How else to explain?

Last edited:
@pastrychef you didn't answer my question. You're saying Nvidia is lying on its corporate website. Why do you think that is?

View attachment 399336

Seems obvious to me that Apple told them to stop after HS and, after weighing up the chances of a legal challenge etc etc, Nvidia complied. How else to explain?

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 8.44.07 AM.png

Yes. I think it's a lie or, at best, an inaccuracy.

It doesn't seem obvious to me at all. What influence does Apple have over Nvidia? No one from Apple is on Nvidia's board of directors. They have no more business relationship. Even if Apple did ask Nvidia not to release Mojave drivers, why the hell would Nvidia comply???????

Even if Apple did ask Nvidia not to release Mojave drivers, why the hell would Nvidia comply???????

Because if a company tells you it does not want your hardware in their system (apparently for screw-ups in the past), and they are the world's richest company, and their software can prevent installation of yours, and your lawyers tell you you can't make them, you pretty much have no choice. That's why.

Yes. I think it's a lie or, at best, an inaccuracy.

Why do you think Nvidia is lying on its corporate website?

Last edited:
With 10.15 rolling around in the next quarter, why are folk trying to use unsupported Nvidia hardware. It is like demanding Intel Wifi and Bluetooth works.

Why do you think Nvidia is lying on their corporate website?

Nvidia isn't lying, it is portraying the situation as it would like you to see it. PR/Marketing/Community Management should all follow a single line or soundbite on macOS support - in all likelihood it rather looks as if an agreement or licence has ended after a period of time.

If it is down to licencing then existing macs with supported Nvidia graphics will soon become obsolete for further macOS updates. I think that date will be late 2019 or first quarter 2010 at the latest - but that is my own speculation based on age of hardware and Apple/Nvidia direction.

It will be interesting to see the new l-o-n-g awaited MacPro lineup and to see if Apple even continue with AMD graphics or if they introduce another option.

Because if a company tells you it does not want your hardware in their system (apparently for screw-ups in the past), and they are the world's richest company, and their software can prevent installation of yours, and your lawyers tell you you can't make them, you pretty much have no choice. That's why.

Why do you think Nvidia is lying on its corporate website when it says Apple is stopping the release of drivers?

Actually, you can install the web drivers in Mojave, Apple doesn’t stop it the problem is they don’t work. The clover team “volunteers” have made it possible to install on our hacks and they dont have resources of a Billion(s) dollar company.
They don’t make excuses, they roll up their sleeves and find solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back