Contribute
Register

100 % Passive cooled Custom Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the idea.

The thing is that the Streacom F8 case only allows for a single-slot card to be installed. Also, I wanted a fanless card for absolute silence. I do agree that not being able to run Mojave (yet?) is a major drawback, but I can use Mojave on another machine that I built.

To me, the Nvidia 1030 is sufficient, and with the most recent High Sierra drivers, I have zero complaints. It does work well, and I can use the Intel chip's built-in GPU acceleration for the OS at the same time.

All these cards are single slot, Mojave compatible, but have a fan:
  • W7000 -- Full height, needs PCIE cable, used for less than $200
  • WX7100 -- Full height, needs PCIE cable, Faster better W7000
  • WX5100 -- Full height, shorter, No PCIE cable
  • WX4100 -- Half height, 50w card
Looks like no one has got the WX3100 and WX2100 working?

now it is Apple's turn to finally allow Nvidia drivers !

Why would Nvidia wait for Apple to "allow" drivers? What influence does Apple have over Nvidia?

What influence does Apple have over Nvidia?

According to Nvida's website, "Apple fully controls drivers for Mac OS. Unfortunately, NVIDIA currently cannot release a driver unless it is approved by Apple."

Apple in the past probably looked the other way when Nvidia released Mac drivers. It's possible they recently "reminded" Nvidia of their expectations, perhaps because they've noticed a growth in Hackintosh usage.

According to Nvida's website, "Apple fully controls drivers for Mac OS. Unfortunately, NVIDIA currently cannot release a driver unless it is approved by Apple."

Apple in the past probably looked the other way when Nvidia released Mac drivers. It's possible they recently "reminded" Nvidia of their expectations, perhaps because they've noticed a growth in Hackintosh usage.

That makes no sense.

Why would Apple "allow" Nvidia to continue releasing High Sierra drivers and not "allow" them to release Mojave drivers? Nvidia has an Apple developer ID. They sign their own drivers. They don't need "approval" to release drivers.

What can Apple do to Nvidia if Nvidia released drivers?

If I ran Nvidia and Apple told me I couldn't release Mojave drivers, I'd tell them to go @#$% themselves. By not releasing drivers, I'd be losing sales and pissing off my customers. If Apple did anything to prevent me from releasing drivers, I'd sue the crap out of them.

Microsoft controls Windows. Can Microsoft not allow Nvidia from releasing Windows 10 drivers? Does Nvidia require Microsoft's "approval" to release drivers?

Thanks for posting the clips. The board looks pretty good. But as you say above, we need the drivers. Shame.

On a personal opinion, I don't like how the guy has his build inside a desk drawer. Seems not optimum air flow. I'd like to see stats over time. But okay, he says it's good. Fair enough.

That makes no sense.

I just reported what I found on Nvidia's website. It seems consistent with their actions and it implies Apple has enough influence to stop them releasing drivers.

Whether it is certification (which in the case of Windows, MS can withhold and that makes selling the product as Windows compatible harder/impossible) or legal or financial, I don't know. I wish I did!

I've speculated all your questions too. All we have is the evidence on Nvidia's own website that something from Apple is stopping them. And it is a shame!

I just reported what I found on Nvidia's website. It seems consistent with their actions and it implies Apple has enough influence to stop them releasing drivers.

Whether it is certification (which in the case of Windows, MS can withhold and that makes selling the product as Windows compatible harder/impossible) or legal or financial, I don't know. I wish I did!

I've speculated all your questions too. All we have is the evidence on Nvidia's own website that something from Apple is stopping them. And it is a shame!

Well, if you're just going by what you read on Nvidia's site, here's one from the Nvidia site.

apple-on-Mojave-Nvidia.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back