Contribute
Register

100 % Passive cooled Custom Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CuriousMac
If you have K series CPU and/or serious internal discrete GPU then 100% passive is pretty hard. That DB4 model tries but has real limits. i.e. either K cpu without gpu OR non-K plus low-power GPU. And that's a pretty highly engineered solution with cooling on two of four panels.

An external GPU which is mostly passive is the way round that but when the system is under load, you'll have fans running. So not 100% passive.

Yip, it wouldn't be 100% passive but it would still be sort of Passively cooled. I am looking around for parts that would work in a passive rig. I will only start on the build once I have all its components ready.

I know I have a non K cpu somewhere.

Curious/\/\ac

At the risk of outstaying my welcome, I think the fanless option is a fascinating one. Here's a YT showing the DB4 I mentioned. Not spruiking, just happen to think it's a terrific solution to the cooling problem.

If I didn't like the case I have now, I'd go for this one and run a K processor on a USB3.1 rev 2 equipped Hack-friendly m/b and a meaty eGPU box (with fans for dual-boot Windows gaming intensity).

Last edited:
Maybe is 100% to much :) I think it would be great if at least the CPU would be passive but the GPU could be just regular semi passive (in idle passive)

Maybe is 100% to much :) I think it would be great if at least the CPU would be passive but the GPU could be just regular semi passive (in idle passive)

Agree. Anyway here's a couple more that try for CPU + GPU passive.

Apparently a kickstarter that went bust is something called the Calyos NSG-SO PC. 1080 GPU & CPU full fanless. System on 99% usage had temps of 65C, according to Linus LTT:

A post on LTT says some folks from that company moved to MonsterLabo which has a unit called "The First". Smaller FF with 200W max TDP or 400W with a single Noctua fan (allowing 1060 GPU).

Agree. Anyway here's a couple more that try for CPU + GPU passive.

Apparently a kickstarter that went bust is something called the Calyos NSG-SO PC. 1080 GPU & CPU full fanless. System on 99% usage had temps of 65C, according to Linus LTT:

A post on LTT says some folks from that company moved to MonsterLabo which has a unit called "The First". Smaller FF with 200W max TDP or 400W with a single Noctua fan (allowing 1060 GPU).

Awesome again ! keep it coming. The Monsterlablo looks very nice.
I wonder why all want to create a as small as possible passive cooled system. A big housing would have a better airflow now ?

I wonder why all want to create a as small as possible passive cooled system. A big housing would have a better airflow now ?

Agree. If you are using internal airflow then you need a tall case so the hot air rises up like a chimney. Seems people want cases to be small/efficient/neat. Mine is only a bit bigger in area than the mini-ITX it holds, but it has about 10 cms tall heat fins on one side.

Speaking of small ... how about this one? An Intel NUC6i7KYK NUC m/b in a "Akasa Galactico" case. Looks great!

Last from me ... here's a build yourself one. HDPlex H5 rev 2. Jump to 14 minutes when he fixes the GPU heat pipes. Looks great. Has a GPU cooler but still limited to 95 Watts TDP, i.e. not above GTX1050.

Agree. If you are using internal airflow then you need a tall case so the hot air rises up like a chimney. Seems people want cases to be small/efficient/neat. Mine is only a bit bigger in area than the mini-ITX it holds, but it has about 10 cms tall heat fins on one side.

Speaking of small ... how about this one? An Intel NUC6i7KYK NUC m/b in a "Akasa Galactico" case. Looks great!

Last from me ... here's a build yourself one. HDPlex H5 rev 2. Jump to 14 minutes when he fixes the GPU heat pipes. Looks great. Has a GPU cooler but still limited to 95 Watts TDP, i.e. not above GTX1050.

I like your dedication to Passively cooled machines. Learning new things everyday :)

Curious/\/\ac

.... and then a chimney type case, for best airflow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back