i7-980
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I need to build a new hackintosh soon. My system is outdated and I need more power.

With the new imac pros coming out with 10-18 cores I was wondering if this will be an option for a Hackintosh?

All I see for the usual compatible builds are 4 cores. I currently still running an i7 980 which is a 6 core and I find myself needing more.

I use my computer for audio production mostly. Mixing and mastering, lots of tracks and plug ins.

I'm hoping for a solution in the next few months or so that will not be too difficult to install.

I need to build a new hackintosh soon. My system is outdated and I need more power.

With the new imac pros coming out with 10-18 cores I was wondering if this will be an option for a Hackintosh?

All I see for the usual compatible builds are 4 cores. I currently still running an i7 980 which is a 6 core and I find myself needing more.

I use my computer for audio production mostly. Mixing and mastering, lots of tracks and plug ins.

I'm hoping for a solution in the next few months or so that will not be too difficult to install.

KGP already has a High Sierra guide written for the new 18 core i9 CPU from Intel. It is paired with an Asus X299 mobo. He doesn't have one (an i9) yet and is using a less costly i7 chip at the moment.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...10-13-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/

This is not a guide that is as simple to implement as a Z270 build. It will take some investment of time and money to get one of these fully working with HS. Have a look and see what you think. Going from your old X58A system to one of these would be a real quantum leap forward in computing power. The guides are already written and some have figured most of the problems out already.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is the jump intel made AFTER the 1st gen i series models. Yes you are running an i7, but a first gen i7 980 has pretty **** poor single core performance in passmark of 1400 and an overall passmark of 8700.

A 4th/5th/6th/7th gen i7's have about average single core of 2500 and overall 11000, plus additional ram speeds, you'd more than likely seem some nice gains going this route.

At the moment the X299 is your best bet. It's close enough to the new imac pros to hackintosh easily.
I started hackintoshing with the X58 and a Xeon, moved to an X99 and now have the X299. The X299 is by far the easiest to hack and to keep running.
I'm running the i9 7900 10 core but any of the cpus seem to work fine, no kernel patches at all. A bonus is their ability to overclock in the hack :)
Wifi and bluetooth are still no go, but I don't care - don't use those things. They'll get kexts eventually.
GPU (as always) is the trickiest thing, but we have web drivers for High Sierra now and quite a few late model AMDs are working with lilu and whatevergreen kexts. My vega works oob but the drivers still need maturing - it's too new to be flawless.
An i9 7900 will be many times faster than your existing 760, plus with native nvme your access to storage will be in a different league!

I was looking at this option but I was under the impression it'd be difficult. I have a 980 ti I'd like to keep using with it. I'm assuming Bluetooth would work with a USB adapter?

Another thing to consider is the jump intel made AFTER the 1st gen i series models. Yes you are running an i7, but a first gen i7 980 has pretty **** poor single core performance in passmark of 1400 and an overall passmark of 8700.

A 4th/5th/6th/7th gen i7's have about average single core of 2500 and overall 11000, plus additional ram speeds, you'd more than likely seem some nice gains going this route.
I need more cores lol.

I'm also curious if it would work on 10.13 with 18+ cores with HyperTreading enabled and a dual GPU ?
At the moment I'm running 10.12.6 with a Xeon E5-2696 v4 (22Cores/44 Threads) & 2* EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

But it runs stable now, only with HyperTreading turned of in the BIOS because the Nvidia driver manager don't support it. I have contacted the Nvidia support desk, and they working on it already on a level 2 technical support for further research.

So it's a little disappointing to only use 22 cores + 22 threads :think: So waiting for a confirmation somebody that's accomplish a system build with 10.13 install..

For the moment I know only @GDS have a matching CPU & Dual GPU maybe he have already updated to 10.13?

Hello
No I didn’t upgrade already cause I need a USB key 3.1 to do it
Also ont MBP, high Sierra is horrible so don’t know if it will bring me any interests (i don’t like so much already AFPS)

I really hope that high Sierra recognize the v4 natively (with rhe iMac pro it is possible)
cause it is the origin of the problem i guess

I thought also to add a 1080Ti with the 2 titan x
I need more « power » in term of GPU rendering

In any case it cannot be worst :D
Also HT is not bringing you super high value
In my use, the HT brings 15% Of advantage nothing more

I'm also curious if it would work on 10.13 with 18+ cores with HyperTreading enabled and a dual GPU ?
At the moment I'm running 10.12.6 with a Xeon E5-2696 v4 (22Cores/44 Threads) & 2* EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

But it runs stable now, only with HyperTreading turned of in the BIOS because the Nvidia driver manager don't support it. I have contacted the Nvidia support desk, and they working on it already on a level 2 technical support for further research.

So it's a little disappointing to only use 22 cores + 22 threads :think: So waiting for a confirmation somebody that's accomplish a system build with 10.13 install..

For the moment I know only @GDS have a matching CPU & Dual GPU maybe he have already updated to 10.13?

Hi, GDS

Thanks for the reply, Im waiting also for a couple updates like mostly there are some problems into the first releases..
You not to notice much difference in R/W speeds on M.2 with the AFPS, or whats your opinion about that ?

The point with the OOB support on Broadwell-E CPU's is the most important thing why I want to upgrade to High Sierra.
And besides that the communication with Nvidia to improve the Nvidia webdriver for dual GPU support would be nice !

Switching the Titan X to new GPU's with the EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 + E5-2696 v4 increased the power of my workstation a lot.
I'm very happy about it, so the multitasking is so much better now.. I just only wait for my order for te 128GB RAM kit.

About the HyperTreading support with a dual GPU would be better is my opinion on some software.
The more threads how better for multitasking, and like when my system is on I just do some CPU mining on crypto's :p

Maybe a good solution for that USB 3.1 flashdrive is the Sandisk Ultra Dual Drive:

Hello
No I didn’t upgrade already cause I need a USB key 3.1 to do it
Also ont MBP, high Sierra is horrible so don’t know if it will bring me any interests (i don’t like so much already AFPS)

I really hope that high Sierra recognize the v4 natively (with rhe iMac pro it is possible)
cause it is the origin of the problem i guess

I thought also to add a 1080Ti with the 2 titan x
I need more « power » in term of GPU rendering

In any case it cannot be worst :D
Also HT is not bringing you super high value
In my use, the HT brings 15% Of advantage nothing more

do u mean that you already changed the graphic card?

also do u still havve the problem of Nvidia web driver with eh 1080Ti?
cause I think that titan x + 2696v4 is the problem

so if changing to 1080Ti solved it
i will manage to put 3 of them :D

and bye bye titan X

Hi, GDS

Thanks for the reply, Im waiting also for a couple updates like mostly there are some problems into the first releases..
You not to notice much difference in R/W speeds on M.2 with the AFPS, or whats your opinion about tha
The point with the OOB support on Broadwell-E CPU's is the most important thing why I want to upgrade to High Sierra.
And besides that the communication with Nvidia to improve the Nvidia webdriver for dual GPU support would be nice !

Switching the Titan X to new GPU's with the EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 + E5-2696 v4 increased the power of my workstation a lot.
I'm very happy about it, so the multitasking is so much better now.. I just only wait for my order for te 128GB RAM kit.

About the HyperTreading support with a dual GPU would be better is my opinion on some software.
The more threads how better for multitasking, and like when my system is on I just do some CPU mining on crypto's :p

Maybe a good solution for that USB 3.1 flashdrive is the Sandisk Ultra Dual Drive:
did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back