Contribute
Register

10.9 System Freezes GA-Z87N-WIFI - Can't Resolve!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
HD 4600
Hi All;

I'm currently running ML 10.8.5 on my Hack setup using the Chimera boot loader for sometime now and haven't had any issues at all. I've followed the guides here to get my rig up and running (thanks).

Now, on numerous occasions, i've installed Mavericks 10.9 to 10.9.3 using different methods (upgrades from 10.8.5, clean installs and upgrades from each sub version of mavericks etc); however I always get this system hide freezing issue.

I've searched everywhere and followed guides with regards to memory voltage settings, intel ethernet kext issues and other guides that match when freeze occurs (using iTunes etc.). But can't get around this issue.

Can anyone help, Please.

Hi All;

I'm currently running ML 10.8.5 on my Hack setup using the Chimera boot loader for sometime now and haven't had any issues at all. I've followed the guides here to get my rig up and running (thanks).

Now, on numerous occasions, i've installed Mavericks 10.9 to 10.9.3 using different methods (upgrades from 10.8.5, clean installs and upgrades from each sub version of mavericks etc); however I always get this system hide freezing issue.

I've searched everywhere and followed guides with regards to memory voltage settings, intel ethernet kext issues and other guides that match when freeze occurs (using iTunes etc.). But can't get around this issue.

Can anyone help, Please.

What does your screen look like when this
happens? I had a similar problem that turned out to be memory

Hi Montmac;

Thanks for taking the time.

When the system freezes; the screens displays what was 'printed' prior to the freeze.

I have recently ran MemTest86 - 1 Pass, All Tests and All CPU Selection modes. No errors reported with regards to memory.

I have the same motherboard and it boots fine even after upgrading from 10.9 up to the most recent 10.9.4. No need for DSDT or anything. A friend of mine was having issues with the built in graphics and everything started working after switching from HDMI to DVI cable.

Can you boot with -v and see where is it freezing at?

I have the same motherboard and it boots fine even after upgrading from 10.9 up to the most recent 10.9.4. No need for DSDT or anything. A friend of mine was having issues with the built in graphics and everything started working after switching from HDMI to DVI cable.

Can you boot with -v and see where is it freezing at?

Hi man0072;

My rig also boots fine; both 10.8.5 and all versions of 10.9. I freezes randomly once the OS is loaded and a hard restart is required.

Checking system logs (etc) via console after a system crash/freeze doesn't reveal anything abnormal.

Just hoping that 10.10 doesn't posses these issues.

Hi man0072;

My rig also boots fine; both 10.8.5 and all versions of 10.9. I freezes randomly once the OS is loaded and a hard restart is required.

Checking system logs (etc) via console after a system crash/freeze doesn't reveal anything abnormal.

Just hoping that 10.10 doesn't posses these issues.

Try running a memory test, it's a long shot but that is the same symptom I had and the new memory was bad, can't hurt and it's free.

Try running a memory test, it's a long shot but that is the same symptom I had and the new memory was bad, can't hurt and it's free.

Cool suggestion; however, I have recently ran MemTest86 - 1 Pass, All Tests and All CPU Selection modes. No errors reported with regards to memory.

Cool suggestion; however, I have recently ran MemTest86 - 1 Pass, All Tests and All CPU Selection modes. No errors reported with regards to memory.

I have 2 of those same boards, one running OSX Mavericks Server and they are bulletproof. However, I removed the WiFi cards and turned off the 2nd Lan port in bios and only have the AppleIntelE1000e v2.5.4d ethernet driver installed. My ethernet cable is plugged into the port closest to the audio jacks.

I also just bought the Gigabyte GA-B85N Phoenix WiFi Edition Logic-board and it is running like a champ as well.

All 3 are using Intel i5-4560S CPU's with 1-HD4600, 1-Zotac GT640 and 1x MSI GTX 650Ti GPU's. They all have Haswell Power Management SSDT and Realtek ALC898 Audio drivers. I am only using 3 items out of MultiBeast and I have absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Hope this might help!

I have 2 of those same boards, one running OSX Mavericks Server and they are bulletproof. However, I removed the WiFi cards and turned off the 2nd Lan port in bios and only have the AppleIntelE1000e v2.5.4d ethernet driver installed. My ethernet cable is plugged into the port closest to the audio jacks.

I also just bought the Gigabyte GA-B85N Phoenix WiFi Edition Logic-board and it is running like a champ as well.

All 3 are using Intel i5-4560S CPU's with 1-HD4600, 1-Zotac GT640 and 1x MSI GTX 650Ti GPU's. They all have Haswell Power Management SSDT and Realtek ALC898 Audio drivers. I am only using 3 items out of MultiBeast and I have absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Hope this might help!

That helps a lot. I'm willing to try anything at this point. Once again, thanks for your help mate - really do appreciate it.

I have to return to work this afternoon; when I get home tonight, i'll follow your recommendations and do a clean install and report of the outcome. Fingers crossed!

That helps a lot. I'm willing to try anything at this point. Once again, thanks for your help mate - really do appreciate it.

I have to return to work this afternoon; when I get home tonight, i'll follow your recommendations and do a clean install and report of the outcome. Fingers crossed!

Progress: Freezes are now only limited to when the computer sends the 'display turn off' command.
I have the OS set to turn the displays off after 10mins. At this point the displays turn off, however no keyboard or mouse input can wake up the displays. A hard restart is required. And the same thing happens when you initiate a restart or shutdown from the apple menu- the OS will go through the motions to restart/shutdown to the point where the displays detect no HDI input and turns off- it seems that the restart/shutdown doesn't complete. Strange....!

tried searching for resolution, but can't. I'll keep trying and post outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back