Contribute
Register

10.9.2 on Sabertooth x79 Core i7 3930k with Overclock [GUIDE / ADVICE / FILES]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply.

1. So you're saying I should just buy Mavericks and install that way off of a DVD? I don't own a Mac, so I was just going to follow the tutorial to buy Snow Leopard for $19.99 and then do the update. Then buy Mavericks in the Apple Store.

My plan was to install SL and then 10.6.3 and then update that to 10.6.8. Then buy Mavericks in the Apple Store and install that using unibeast on my USB drive. I'll format the drive and everything since I'll have nothing on it anyway except for SL...
Mavericks is not available to purchase on a DVD - only by downloading from the Apple Mac App Store. So, your plan is the best plan. The Apple Snow Leopard (White) DVD has 10.6.3 on it. Install it, booting with iBoot, and update to 10.6.8. Now, still booting with iBoot, go to the App Store, create your account and download Mavericks. (You don't even have to have to run MultiBeast in Snow Leopard unless you want to have a Snow Leopard installation drive.)

After Mavericks downloads, the installer will start up. Just quit the installer. Now, create your UniBeast USB thumb drive in SL per the tonymacx86 Guide. Once the UniBeast USB thumb drive has been created you can either either install on top of SL or do a "fresh" installation per the tonymacx86 Guide.

Good luck! And have fun! :thumbup:

Thanks Stork, that's what I intended to do. I wasn't going to run Multibeast on SL and just use Unibeast to install Mavericks.

Not sure if you are familiar with the way the guide in this thread goes, but I can't seem to find the following in my BIOS. It is version 4701 as used by Stinky Finger:

ACPI 2.0
ACPI APIC

Also, the guide says to disable VT-d. Now I see this in 2 places in the BIOS. First I see it under CPU Configuration where it is currently enabled. It is listed as Intel Virtualization Technology. I then see it again under System Agent Configuration where it is disabled. It is listed as VT-d. Is this fine or should I also disable it under CPU Configuration?

This is what I meant about switching settings back to what they were after installing Mavericks. If I have to disable Intel Virtualization Technology where I currently have it enabled, can I enable it after installing Mavericks or will that cause an issue?

Chris

Thanks Stork, that's what I intended to do. I wasn't going to run Multibeast on SL and just use Unibeast to install Mavericks.

Not sure if you are familiar with the way the guide in this thread goes, but I can't seem to find the following in my BIOS. It is version 4701 as used by Stinky Finger:

ACPI 2.0
ACPI APIC

Hi Chris,
Now this makes sense. I didn't realize you didn't have access to the Appstore. Just follow Storks advice and then do a fresh install. As for those two setting, they disappear in this bios, so I didn't set them.

Also, the guide says to disable VT-d. Now I see this in 2 places in the BIOS. First I see it under CPU Configuration where it is currently enabled. It is listed as Intel Virtualization Technology. I then see it again under System Agent Configuration where it is disabled. It is listed as VT-d. Is this fine or should I also disable it under CPU Configuration?

This is what I meant about switching settings back to what they were after installing Mavericks. If I have to disable Intel Virtualization Technology where I currently have it enabled, can I enable it after installing Mavericks or will that cause an issue?

Chris

I checked my bios just now and they are both turned off. I haven't tried turing them on, but I see your predicament. Davevegas says it won't work with them on. I recommend building the hackintosh with it off and experimenting with them on after everything is working. Same goes with his over clock settings. I left mine off until I had a stable build, then I just used the auto overclock settings. Also, be sure you use my org.chameleon.Boot.plist file I attached to my earlier post. That typo in davevegas's files drove me bananas for hours until I found it!

Lastly, DO NOT DO HIS POWER MANAGEMENT /OpenCL HACK!! Just install the NVidia Drivers Alternative drivers for 10.9.4 and everything will work (assuming you have an Nvidia card).

For your other questions for earlier....

3. From what I see, the i7 3930K is a Sandy Bridge-E not an Ivy Bridge.
Be honest, I maybe wrong. Amazon listed my processor as Ivy Bridge, but I never installed snow leopard, so I never needed to do the update helper. I went straight to Mountain Lion when I built this machine. I am blissfully ignorant on that spec! :D

4. I read that if I already installed Windows 8.1 as UEFI, I can't dual boot. Is that correct? How do I know how I installed it? It was a while ago.
I will have to defer this question to someone else. I don't know much about Windows 8.
Sorry for the confusion! I hope this helps!
stinky_finger

It helps a lot, I really appreciate it

Thanks!

I just want to say, WOW. That went pretty damn smoothly. I followed the guide with Stinky-Finger's amendments and everything is running smooth. I'm dual booting Mavericks 10.9.4 with Windows 8.1. I love it.

The hardest part was installing Snow Leopard on a different computer (didn't want to mess with this one), and trying to get the system to boot correctly and getting my internet to work so that I could access the Apple Store. Finally after days of trying different boot flags and kexts I got in. Downloaded 10.9.4 and the rest was history.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with their questions and answers in this thread.

A special thanks to Davevegas for the wonderful guide and Kexts, Stinky-Finger for the help and additions, Stork for the incite and help and qwerty123 for pointing to the Alternate NVidia drivers.

One last questions since I'm new to MAC. To get my printers working, do I just search the web for MAC drivers or may they be natively supported in Mavericks? Ok, so after connecting my USB devices, Mavericks asked me if I wanted to install drivers for my printers. I said not now as I don't know the effect it will have. I say this because on my Dell XPS 8700 when I updated something in the APP Store (can't remember what it was) I could not longer boot into OS X. I don't want that to happen with this setup. So is it safe to install updates?

Thanks again everyone,
Chris

One last questions since I'm new to MAC. To get my printers working, do I just search the web for MAC drivers or may they be natively supported in Mavericks? Ok, so after connecting my USB devices, Mavericks asked me if I wanted to install drivers for my printers. I said not now as I don't know the effect it will have. I say this because on my Dell XPS 8700 when I updated something in the APP Store (can't remember what it was) I could not longer boot into OS X. I don't want that to happen with this setup. So is it safe to install updates?

Thanks again everyone,
Chris

Hi Chris,
Just go to the manufacture's website and download their driver. I have a Minolta Magicolor 1650EN laser printer, so I just downloaded the latest driver because the one built into 10.9.4 had some weird printing issues. Once you install the driver, go to ->System Preference ->Printers& Scanners and click the + button on the left side to add your printer. Once you find your printer, you just click on the 'use' drop down menu to find the correct printer driver. The driver you just installed should show up in that list, if not reboot and check again. My printer is ethernet based, so it showed up as a Bonjour printer and loaded instantly.
I hope this helps!
stinky_finger

Hi Chris,
Just go to the manufacture's website and download their driver. I have a Minolta Magicolor 1650EN laser printer, so I just downloaded the latest driver because the one built into 10.9.4 had some weird printing issues. Once you install the driver, go to ->System Preference ->Printers& Scanners and click the + button on the left side to add your printer. Once you find your printer, you just click on the 'use' drop down menu to find the correct printer driver. The driver you just installed should show up in that list, if not reboot and check again. My printer is ethernet based, so it showed up as a Bonjour printer and loaded instantly.
I hope this helps!
stinky_finger

Sounds easy enough.....Thanks!

Thank you for posting this! This really helped with my build since I used the same core components (Sabertooth X79, i7-3930K, and a Fermi GPU). The biggest issue I had was I kept having to use the npci=0x2000 to get the OS to boot, and then I read on the forum that someone had success after running DSDT=null at boot and then deleting the DSDT from the Extra folder once they logged on. This solved the issue! I think this is because I updated my UEFI BIOS to the newest (4801) and the DSDT is probably written in an early version??
I also had a hard time finding the "Extra" folder to begin with. Then I read this in another thread:

Start by opening the 'Terminal' app and at the terminal prompt, type in the following and press Enter :

Code:
sudo -s
You will be prompted for your password; go ahead and type in your password then press Enter.

Next, type in the following at the prompt and press Enter:

Code:
chflags nohidden /Volumes/USB/*
And then finally type in this and press Enter :

Code:
chflags nohidden /Volumes/USB/Extra/*
This has made some files and folders visible on the Unibeast installer, which were hidden when it was created. You can now exit the 'Terminal' app.

(From http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...e-intel-haswell-nuc-core-i5-d54250wyk-v2.html)

This allowed me access to the folder! I am glad I found that link!

Needless to say, thanks for posting this guide!! :headbang:

Have you updated to YOSEMITE yet? just wondering if this guide works with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back