Contribute
Register

10.9.2 on Sabertooth x79 Core i7 3930k with Overclock [GUIDE / ADVICE / FILES]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also: how do you turn OpenCL BACK ON?! if you've disabled it through terminal?!?!?

Anyone about turning OpenCL back on from terminal, etc? :-/

UPDATE: I installed the new Nvidia Alternative Graphics Drivers as posted here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ate-graphics-drivers-10-9-3-334-01-01f01.html

And.... Power Management on the GPU works now! :):)

I was a bit worried because the temps at idle on my graphics card where like 63 degrees celsisus -- not good! But now it appears that things are working very well! :headbang:

I'm on 10.9.3.

P.S. I noticed that the OpenCL disabling commands provided on the first post of this thread actually didn't work for me (maybe cause I'm on 10.9.3?). That is, they didn't turn off OpenCL or, if they did, they didn't give me proper power management.

EDIT: Reinstalled and it now runs normal. I omitted FakeSMC the first time and wonder if that could have been the issue? Maybe just a fluke.

I've updated this build (mostly the same) with a 4930K and now my temps are 10 degrees hotter (but 5 degrees cooler in Windows 7).

Could the absence of any of the following configurations have caused this?
-3rd Party Sata
-ElliotForceLegacyRTC
-EvOreboot
-NullCPUPowerManagement
-AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset
-Generate CPU States

I'm on 10.9.3 & used Erik's MultiBeast configuration:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...us-sabertooth-x79-i7-4930k-32gb-1866-ram.html

Also: how do you turn OpenCL BACK ON?! if you've disabled it through terminal?!?!?

i need help with this too !!! and this is a result from OpenCL

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 10.33.50 pm 1.png

First I want to say thanks to davevegas for posting this guide and his files up on this forum. It has helped me out tremendously. I think davevegas was a bit offended when someone earlier in the thread suggested the guide had bugs, but I have to say that this guide is a little confusing and needs some cleanup. Please take this constructively and to help anyone else who comes across it….

My Setup is similar:
Sabertooth x79 with bios 4701
EVGA GeForce GTX670
Intel i7 -3930K
32GB (8x4GB) Samsung 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

This is what I needed to do to get my hackintosh working after 16 hours of messing around.

1. Do a fresh install and format from Mavericks installer. I had been running 10.8.1 for the last 1.5 years when I decided to upgrade due to some software requirements. I orginially tried upgrading to 10.8.5 with no success, so I tired mavericks 10.9.4 and I had no luck either. (Lots of booting issues and mavericks was flaky). I cloned my drive 6 times, before giving up and doing a fresh install. I was done in about an hour with the fresh install. I just copied over what I needed from the old drive and re-downloaded all the apps I use from Adobe Creative Cloud. I wish I had done this at the beginning, I would have 15 hours of my life back. :)

2. The bios versions are confusing in this document. First, davevegas is using 3305 and later 4680. I tried both versions several times before pressing on to the latest version (4701). I recommend, that you use 4701 and use davevegas's bios settings at the beginning of the document minus the over-clock. I did not over-clock the system until the system was up and running solid. I then used the 'auto overclock' tool in the bios which gave me a great performance, but again, please wait until your system is solid.

3. The files he provides are fine except org.chameleon.Boot.plist which has a typo on the last string. The typo causes the plist to be replaced on reboot with a generic one because it is considered corrupted. This took a while for me to figure out why it was being re-written on reboots! I've attached my working org.chameleon.Boot.plist for your reference. Also as davevegas says later in the thread, you do not need DSDT.aml, which is absolutely correct, but it is still included in his files. Be sure you DO NOT COPY IT TO YOUR SYSTEM!

4. Do not do the OpenCL hack at the end of the guide! I just installed the NVidia Drivers Alternative drivers for 10.9.4 and everything worked (including power management). This driver gave me the best cinebench score to date! Thanks to qwerty123 for pointing this out earlier in the thread! FYI, he points to the 10.9.3 driver, so please choose the correct version for your OS.

5. With multibeast for mavericks, please tick enable TRIM. All the other settings in this guide worked for me. For audio, you may have to re-run multibeast again with just the audio ticked after second reboot.

Lastly, I used a second USB stick to move files between computers. Chimera will hang (stuck "/" icon) if it is plugged in during boot up. This one has nothing to do with the guide, but it drove me nuts until I figured it out!!

Again no disrespect, I just want to help anyone who runs into the same issues using this guide!

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    1 KB · Views: 357
I need help on Mavericks power management.

Thanks for the tutorial,,,,it's gonna be very helpful.

I will be doing this on a fresh hard drive by first installing Snow Loepoard and then updating to Maverick. I will be following this tutorial
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html and this this tutorial http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Just a few questions though.

1. In regards to changing the BIOS to reflect what is written in this thread. Is that just so we can get OS X to install and then we can change the BIOS back to the way we had it originally or does it have to stay the new way?

2. Since our processor is actually a Sandy Bridge-E. Do we have to follow this step? Did you guys do this?
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/get-ready-for-os-x-lion-update-to-1068.html

3. If anyone did dual boot, I'm doing Windows 8 and Maverick, what drive should be your boot drive? The Windows 8 drive or the Maverick drive?

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks for the tutorial,,,,it's gonna be very helpful.

I will be doing this on a fresh hard drive by first installing Snow Loepoard and then updating to Maverick. I will be following this tutorial
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html and this this tutorial http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Just a few questions though.
Don't waste time like I did. Just do a fresh install of Mavericks 10.9.4 on a new drive, especially since you are doing a fresh install of OSX anyway. I could never get upgrade from Mountain Lion to work, so I assume that SL will be the same. Seriously, read my post (#58) before following this guide. I wasted a lot of time following the original stuff in this thread.

1. In regards to changing the BIOS to reflect what is written in this thread. Is that just so we can get OS X to install and then we can change the BIOS back to the way we had it originally or does it have to stay the new way?
Bios 4701 is quite solid. Why do you want to change back to an old version?

2. Since our processor is actually a Sandy Bridge-E. Do we have to follow this step? Did you guys do this?
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/get-ready-for-os-x-lion-update-to-1068.html

This step is not listed for Mavericks and I have a Intel i7 -3930 Ivy Bridge, so I did not do that step. You shouldn't have to if you are going straight to Mavericks.

3. If anyone did dual boot, I'm doing Windows 8 and Maverick, what drive should be your boot drive? The Windows 8 drive or the Maverick drive?

I have a dual boot of Mavericks and Mountain Lion, only because I was upgrading to a bigger drive and want to copy some data from the old. Both drives have Chameleon installed (ML has it from a long time ago), but I set the bios to boot off my new drive running Mavericks. I think you should install the boot loader on the OSX drive and leave the Windows drive alone. Then just set your bios to boot off OSX drive and then you can choose windows from Chameleon when needed.
-stinky_finger

Thanks for the reply.

1. So you're saying I should just buy Mavericks and install that way off of a DVD? I don't own a Mac, so I was just going to follow the tutorial to buy Snow Leopard for $19.99 and then do the update. Then buy Mavericks in the Apple Store.

My plan was to install SL and then 10.6.3 and then update that to 10.6.8. Then buy Mavericks in the Apple Store and install that using unibeast on my USB drive. I'll format the drive and everything since I'll have nothing on it anyway except for SL.

2. I don't want to revert back to an old version of the BIOS. I was talking about switching my setting back. I have certain settings set up in the BIOS. I have to change those settings to allow OS X to install. Once installed, can I change back to those original settings or does OS x need the new settings to run correctly?

3. From what I see, the i7 3930K is a Sandy Bridge-E not an Ivy Bridge.

4. I read that if I already installed Windows 8.1 as UEFI, I can't dual boot. Is that correct? How do I know how I installed it? It was a while ago.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back