Graphics
Radeon
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I had a stable 10.8.4 with everything working... until I installed 10.8.5 combo update that is. No matter what I tried, I could not get past the kernel panic. Perhaps my experience will help someone else.

1. I re-downloaded 10.8.5 (4.6 GB) from the Apple store and created a new multibeast installer.
2. It installed fine following the guide, no issues.
3. I updated a second USB stick with all the necessary utilities such as Probook Installer, kext wizard, wifi keys, DSDT editor, etc., that are incredibly handy to have during installation.
3. Ran Probook Installer 6.1.4 with all the usual options for 4530s.
4. Ran Chimera 2.2 from the utilities usb stick. (Did not pick chameleon from pbi)
5. Reboot, and voila -- no boot0 error!

During one of the multiple attempts, I had the ethernet connected, and logged into icloud during the setup. BIG MISTAKE. I could not sudo root for any system modification, kept getting the error "
unable to cache user root, already exists." I could not get past this error (tried fixing permissions, clear cache, etc) and ended up reinstalling 10.8.5, this time making sure I did NOT login to iCloud to get my settings etc.Now the machine seems to be working fine, including brightness, wifi, audio. Have not tested usb3.

Perhaps others can add to this post other gotchas that you have run into.

I had a stable 10.8.4 with everything working... until I installed 10.8.5 combo update that is. No matter what I tried, I could not get past the kernel panic. Perhaps my experience will help someone else.

1. I re-downloaded 10.8.5 (4.6 GB) from the Apple store and created a new multibeast installer.
2. It installed fine following the guide, no issues.
3. I updated a second USB stick with all the necessary utilities such as Probook Installer, kext wizard, wifi keys, DSDT editor, etc., that are incredibly handy to have during installation.
3. Ran Probook Installer 6.1.4 with all the usual options for 4530s.
4. Ran Chimera 2.2 from the utilities usb stick. (Did not pick chameleon from pbi)
5. Reboot, and voila -- no boot0 error!

During one of the multiple attempts, I had the ethernet connected, and logged into icloud during the setup. BIG MISTAKE. I could not sudo root for any system modification, kept getting the error "
unable to cache user root, already exists." I could not get past this error (tried fixing permissions, clear cache, etc) and ended up reinstalling 10.8.5, this time making sure I did NOT login to iCloud to get my settings etc.Now the machine seems to be working fine, including brightness, wifi, audio. Have not tested usb3.

Perhaps others can add to this post other gotchas that you have run into.

Or... everyone could read the sticky guide, specifically the section on updating to 10.8.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back