Contribute
Register

10.8.4 Update available. What does/doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx philip_petev, maybe even start a new thread and attach them to the first post, so will be easier to find in the future when this gets beried.

This is not so bad idea, however in my opinion such thread should contain the vanilla kexts from all ML editions so far (10.8 to 10.8.4) and maybe all Lion editions as well. I'm not sure how exactly will find all these kexts and even if I find them and post them, I think so many vanilla kexts, posted in one place, will attract too much attention. Maybe a folder @ Mega...

@BigDonkey:

I remember you sent me once, for 10.8.3 I think, an optimized AppleHDA.kext and you said you have removed some unneeded files. Can you tell me what exactly were these optimizations?

@BigDonkey:

I remember you sent me once, for 10.8.3 I think, an optimized AppleHDA.kext and you said you have removed some unneeded files. Can you tell me what exactly were these optimizations?

Probably without all the extra layout files (Contents/Resources/layout*.xml.zlib). You only need the layout you're going to use.

Probably without all the extra layout files (Contents/Resources/layout*.xml.zlib). You only need the layout you're going to use.

plus extra layouts from Info.plist from AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext and platforms from Platforms.xml.
rather cosmetic changes to reduce file size.

plus extra layouts from Info.plist from AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext and platforms from Platforms.xml.

Yes... Already done in the AppleHDAs that I posted...

Got that. Thanks!

I was wondering if my findings from yesterday will affect somehow on the patched kexts, provided by RehabMan, but fortunately all missing files are not so important.

One more thing: yesterday I checked all copies of AppleHDA.kext in all OS X options and I found all these extra layout files in some of the options. Since we use only layout12.xml.zlib (a.k.a layout12.xml in Lion's AppleHDA.kext), do I have to delete them as well?

Side note: maybe in future we should extract those kexts from InstallESD.dmg, just to be sure the kext is whole.

Got that. Thanks!

I was wondering if my findings from yesterday will affect somehow on the patched kexts, provided by RehabMan, but fortunately all missing files are not so important.

I patched from AppleHDA.kext extracted from a fresh install (eg. I didn't extract from update pkg using pacifist).

One more thing: yesterday I checked all copies of AppleHDA.kext in all OS X options and I found all these extra layout files in some of the options. Since we use only layout12.xml.zlib (a.k.a layout12.xml in Lion's AppleHDA.kext), do I have to delete them as well?

You don't "have to" but they are definitely not necessary because we only use layout12.

Side note: maybe in future we should extract those kexts from InstallESD.dmg, just to be sure the kext is whole.

I think the best way is to extract vanilla from an actual installed system.

You don't "have to" but they are definitely not necessary because we only use layout12.

I can use the files (Platform.xml.zlib and layout12.xml.zlib) from 10.8.3 for 10.8.2 and backward, right? Because all copies of AppleHDA.kext from 10.8.2 to 10.8 contain all layout files in the Resources folder and Platform.xml.zlib is almost twice the size of the same file in the 10.8.3 option. Also the file Info.plist (AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext) in 10.8.1 and 10.8.0 contains all layouts, so it will require a little cleanup.

I bought an SSD drive to my desktop computer and before i installed windows on it i done a fresh ML install. I copied the vanilla 10.8 bluetooth kext from it and installed to my original system. Then ran the combo update and now it was successful! With the completed update I have my original wifi speed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back