Contribute
Register

10.8.4 Update available. What does/doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi noob question
what happens (good/bad) if the system is just updated and rebooted, without rolling back those patched 10.8.3. kexts?
will it work as normal or better, or would it kp or something?

No KP since AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is not updated.

just saw the combo update is about 850mb!

If you're on 10.8.3, you could also use just the non-combo update. It is 359MB.

UPDATE...
was forced to update and restart when downloaded through app store. roll back could not be applied.

This is why we don't use App Store update.

Just out of curiosity, does this update solve the shut down delay?

Nope, com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication still hangs on shutdown here for 20 secs before being killed (as by default settings, I set it to 1 sec) delaying the system from shutting down.

CanI update from 10.8.2 with the combo update like RM described? So I would back up my 10.8.2 kexts before I run the update then I restore them and so on. Or there were some other kext updates between 10.8.2 and 10.8.3 what can cause some trouble?

CanI update from 10.8.2 with the combo update like RM described? So I would back up my 10.8.2 kexts before I run the update then I restore them and so on. Or there were some other kext updates between 10.8.2 and 10.8.3 what can cause some trouble?

Yes.

Backed up the mentioned kexts as per RM post.

Installed combo update, kext wizard would hang.

Restarted, ran kext wizard, installed kexts, repaired / rebuilt, restarted, enabled trim.

All ok.

Thanks RM

Kext Wizard probably didn't hang, but it should be noted that the system is *very* slow after doing this update, but before rebooting. You just need to be (very) patient. Doing almost anything (starting Disk Utility, quitting Disk Utility, using Kext Wizard, etc) is very slow before reboot.

Kext Wizard probably didn't hang, but it should be noted that the system is *very* slow after doing this update, but before rebooting. You just need to be (very) patient. Doing almost anything (starting Disk Utility, quitting Disk Utility, using Kext Wizard, etc) is very slow before reboot.

I've noticed this too on my desktop, the system was very slow right after the update, so I restarted it and ran the Kext Wizard after the first boot with 10.8.4. I'll try to update my ProBook tonight.

Kext Wizard cannot start after installing combo update 10.8.4.
I had to restart, then apply kexts, repair & rebuild, then a restart.
Seems OK.

Kext Wizard cannot start after installing combo update 10.8.4.
I had to restart, then apply kexts, repair & rebuild, then a restart.
Seems OK.

It will start, but it is *very* slow. And you have to be *very* patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back