Contribute
Register

10.8.4 Update available. What does/doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 4530s
CPU
i5-2410m
Graphics
HD 3000 & RX 490m
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, just saw that 10.8.4 is now ready for download. (combo update link) - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1659
Thought i'd start a thread for people who have tested it to share their experiences and discuss any mods or updates required to use it.

From my quick look with Pacifist, the following kexts should be patched:

AppleHDA.kext (for both 4x30s and 4x40s)
AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext
AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

The rest of the package is OK, there are no other updates.

Hey guys, just saw that 10.8.4 is now ready for download. (combo update link) - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1659
Thought i'd start a thread for people who have tested it to share their experiences and discuss any mods or updates required to use it.

I installed it on my ProBook using the standalone update package to go from 10.8.3 to 10.8.4.

Before I started the update, I did a backup of AppleHDA.kext and AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext. If you are also using patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext (or patched AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext), then you should backup those too. I used Terminal:

Code:
mkdir ~/Desktop/pre10.8.4
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext ~/Desktop/pre10.8.4
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext ~/Desktop/pre10.8.4
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext ~/Desktop/pre10.8.4
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext ~/Desktop/pre10.8.4

Then install the update. After the update is finished, before restarting:
- Kext Wizard to install the kexts backed up prior to the update (eg. rolling them back to 10.8.3 patched versions)
- Disk Utility to repair permissions
- Kext Wizard to rebuild cache

Then I restarted. No issues so far.

Obviously, the right way is to get patched versions of AppleHDA, AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB, and AppleIntelFramebufferCapri and get them into the ProBook Installer v6.1.

I can confirm that there's no issues so far on my side, too. I did what RehabMan did.

No problems here, but I had to restart before restoring any kext, Spotlight went crazy before restarting! :c

Also, what is the patch for audio used in our ProBooks?

I installed it on my ProBook using the standalone update package to go from 10.8.3 to 10.8.4.

Before I started the update, I did a backup of AppleHDA.kext and AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext. If you are also using patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext (or patched AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext), then you should backup those too. I used Terminal:

Code:
mkdir ~/Desktop/pre10.8.4
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext ~/Desktop/pre10.8.4
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext ~/Desktop/pre10.8.4
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext ~/Desktop/pre10.8.4
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext ~/Desktop/pre10.8.4

Then install the update. After the update is finished, before restarting:
- Kext Wizard to install the kexts backed up prior to the update (eg. rolling them back to 10.8.3 patched versions)
- Disk Utility to repair permissions
- Kext Wizard to rebuild cache

Then I restarted. No issues so far.

Obviously, the right way is to get patched versions of AppleHDA, AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB, and AppleIntelFramebufferCapri and get them into the ProBook Installer v6.1.

hi noob question
what happens (good/bad) if the system is just updated and rebooted, without rolling back those patched 10.8.3. kexts?
will it work as normal or better, or would it kp or something?

just saw the combo update is about 850mb!

UPDATE...
was forced to update and restart when downloaded through app store. roll back could not be applied.

issues - bluetooth did not work, wireless was much slower, no audio.

after roll back kexts as rehabmans post, appears all 3 above working, though wifi is still slow than pre 10.8.4

side note - and when i tried to find the wifi diagnostics tool, it looks like apple took that away too
see below

solution.. https://discussions.apple.com/message/22170432?tstart=0#22170432?tstart=0

UPDATE - OBSERVATIONS.
noticed a different pattern happening, after a bit of more use while using external display via hdmi, when coming out of sleep, or screen blank, the screen flickers a few times and you can see what was on the desktop, then blanks, then comes back to normal. pre 10.8.4 the screen just power back on with a blank screen, then the desktop.

overall it is a bit more snappier, almost like a fresh new setup. bluetooth on wifi card works ok so far.

Just updated my probook 4540s, everything worked well except my sounds. I fixed that by reinstalling probook installer 6.1

Rahabman ! you say as I did, but the sound does not work

Then you did something incorrectly. Use ProProok Installer to refresh your "OS X Support Kexts" (use 10.8.3 option).

Make sure to repair permissions & rebuild cache before reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back