Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried that but didn't work I will try Create small partition on thet hdd,forrmated with fat32,and use camilion witard to install camilion on thet fat32 partition.

Since so many people are asking about this here; this is copy from my build. NOTE THAT I AM INSTALLING CHAMELEON ON THE BOOT PARTION, NOT THE FAT PARTITION.

1) Create a small FAT partition by launching Disk Utility -> Click Boot Drive on left -> Partition on right -> Click little + under partition graphic -> Click second new partition in graphic -> Name = FAT -> Format = MS-DOS (FAT) -> Size = 1 -> Apply

disk_utility_2_7970.jpg

2) Download Chameleon Wizard from here to install updated boot0 file (needed to avoid crazy characters at boot). Launch Chameleon Wizard and allow it to update. Make sure your Target Partition at bottom is your new Mountain Lion disk. Click the Boot0hfs bullet. Then just click the Install button.

chameleon_wizard.jpg

I have everything working but the ATI 7950 card which shows up as 3MB when using GraphicsEnabler=No. I just updated to 10.8.3 - can I remove the ATI7000Controller.kext prior to restarting after the 10.8.3 install?

Edit: Cannot boot into 10.8.3 after installing the update...even with GraphicsEnabler=No (I was able to prior to the update)

Edit 2: After updating to 10.8.3 - it appears I can only boot into safe mode

Yes. If you remove your ATI7000Controller.kext you will be able to boot using:

Code:
UseKernelCache=No

You will just be in VESA mode (slow graphics and low resolution). This is useful for fixing stuff.

You have to replace the space with "backslash space" like so:

Code:
mkdir /Volumes/Mountain\ Lion/ati_backup
mv /Volumes/Mountain\ Lion/System/Library/Extensions/ATI7000Controller.kext /Volumes/Mountain\ Lion/ati_backup/

wicked! im now in and sleep works by pressing the power button so i assume this should work to wake when i re enable the ati7000 kext

MK500,

Ethernet, Audio works with a DSDT from Darfweder's forum post here - http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...z77a-g45-i5-3570k-16gb-hd4000.html#post496634

Then when I update to 10.8.3, I can only boot into OSX when I am in Safe mode. I followed your instructions to a tee including removing the ATI7000Controller.kext and reinstalling the Kext and installing the boot loader along with a FAT partition.

Here is my Verbose screen - please helpphoto.JPG (been working on this for 4 hours now)

Update: I had to rollback on AppleACPIPlatform.kext in safe mode

Now I just get a WHITE SCREEN with CURSOR...If I put PRESS POWER - it goes to SLEEP, I press POWER again PC turns on but nothing on screen (no input)

Fixed with a shell script! all is working thanks!
Question if I want to add another partition on the same disk with Windows 8 is it possible? If so how do I accomplish this?

I HIGHLY recommend against this (both OS on same drive).

For Windows, the best way to do it is a second hard drive. Unplug your OS X drive. Connect ONLY the new drive and install Windows fully. Then it's safe to reconnect your OS X drive and dual boot.

The problem is that if the OS X partitions are visible to the computer while the Windows installer is running it has a nasty habit of screwing them up. This is ONLY a problem during installation.

I was looking forward to adding Windows 8 to the same drive as a separate partition. Shucks....any other alternatives? What about BootCamp? I just want to use the Windows partition for gaming

I'm new to this forum but this site has been extremely helpful in my first Hack build. I just wanted to give back a little. For those having trouble with the "White Screen" issue and the sleep/wake fix is not working for you,here is another work around for those who have a Crossfire setup.

1.Simply unplug you the monitor cable (DVI,HDMI, Mini Display port all work the same) from the back of your card.

2.Now plug it into the 2nd card.

This should give you access to the desktop and let you make any necessary changes which gives you a chance to fix whatever sleep/wake issues you may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back