Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
copied you boot flags and it worked! so i followed your steps and now need to put to sleep! can you help with that? cheers mate for your input

Can't get HD4000 or my Gigabyte 7950 to work after updating to 10.8.3. updating to 10.8.3 will no longer allow me to boot back into OSX with GraphicsEnabler=No

try mk500's boot flags1 just worked for me using unibeast

managed to get mine to sleep at white screen! now bloody wake up!!!!lol

copied you boot flags and it worked! so i followed your steps and now need to put to sleep! can you help with that? cheers mate for your input

In this case I would recommend the following:

1) Boot up using Unibeast as you have been able to.
2) Run Terminal from Unibeast. Then disable your 7000 driver on your hard drive. Assuming your hard drive is named OSX:

Code:
mkdir /Volumes/OSX/ati_backup
mv /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/ATI7000Controller.kext /Volumes/OSX/ati_backup/

Make sure to swap out "OSX" with the real name of your hard drive if different. Hopefully there are no spaces in your drive name, as that will also cause problems with the commands I listed (so you may have to further adjust).

3) So now when you boot off your hard drive with the flags it should come up in VESA mode (low res graphics). You will need to use this boot flag to make sure it doesn't use the 7000 driver from your kextcache:

Code:
UseKernelCache=No

From here you can install whatever is necessary to get your particular motherboard to sleep. Or, if you already had sleep working, just make sure "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep" is checked in Energy Saver. I had to install a DSDT for my motherboard with sleep tweaks in place and also install the SleepEnabler kext linked to in my build.

4) Now you need to re-enable your 7000 driver by doing this:

Code:
cp -r /ati_backup/ATI7000Controller.kext ~/Desktop/

5) Run Kextbeast

6) Reboot and when it comes to the white or black screen, hit the power button and wait for it to go to sleep. It may take up to 2 minutes. Then hit the power button again to wake it up.

If above process doesn't work, it means your sleep is not working. Go back to step 1 and start over; then figure out why sleep isn't working and complete process. Note that it may not sleep at all in VESA mode; so you can't really test it until you install the driver.

If you have a spare video card; get sleep working with that first, then swap cards.

Make sure to swap out "OSX" with the real name of your hard drive if different. Hopefully there are no spaces in your drive name, as that will also cause problems with the commands I listed (so you may have to further adjust).

yeah my HDD is named "Mountain Lion" should i just use "_" for a space?

thanks for help really appreciated!:)

You have to replace the space with "backslash space" like so:

Code:
mkdir /Volumes/Mountain\ Lion/ati_backup
mv /Volumes/Mountain\ Lion/System/Library/Extensions/ATI7000Controller.kext /Volumes/Mountain\ Lion/ati_backup/

I have everything working but the ATI 7950 card which shows up as 3MB when using GraphicsEnabler=No. I just updated to 10.8.3 - can I remove the ATI7000Controller.kext prior to restarting after the 10.8.3 install?

Edit: Cannot boot into 10.8.3 after installing the update...even with GraphicsEnabler=No (I was able to prior to the update)

Edit 2: After updating to 10.8.3 - it appears I can only boot into safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back