Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanting to confirm the Sapphire 7850 working (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004). I had to appended to the Info.plist inside AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext & ATI7000Controller.kext the value 0x68191002 wherever I found 0x68181002. It was 2 places tops, one inside each Info.plist. I flushed the cache, and rebooted.

When that was done, my monitor had both the IGP and 7850 plugged in. The 7850 was in via hdmi, and the IGP used dvi. The startup does get the white flickering screen. Rather than sleep, I put a password on my login ('password' ;). That way, when I start to get the flickering white snow, I jst enter password, hit enter, and wait for my monitor to detect hdmi. Works a treat (no need for sleep)

Also, you have to remember to un-mirror the displays, if you have both hdmi and dvi plugged into the same monitor. Otherwise, the fps will drop down to the lowest common denominator. In this case, the i4000 IGP on the Z77MA-G45 motherboard. If you don't do this, heaven engine will give you around 6fps. Un-mirroring and setting the primary display to the hdmi connection, I get around 45fps.

You can either disconnect the dvi at this point (thus leaving osx with only hdmi in) or you can hit source to jump between the two (which is slightly strange but, whatever).

guys I have problem that my hackintosh freezes when I run Heaven 4.0 or install iState pro widget or install menu bar extension of HWMonitor ...does anyone have the same problem?
how I can fix it?

and it happens when I boot with my 7970 card ...but if I boot with HD4000 there is no problem ...

HWMonitor freezes my hack, too. I don't think it's been updated to support the HD 7xxx Series yet--probably when the FakeSMC plugins get updated that'll get fixed.
Would I need to remove the card completely or does unpluggin the power do the job?
Take it all the away out just to be safe. It gets powered by the PCI-e bus, too, so leaving it in will probably power the card on when you really don't want that.
I think this FirePro is based on the 6900 series of cards, and those are infamous for being only half-supported (i.e. success is really mixed with those guys).
Ignore that sentence, I thought you wrote v7900. The v7800 looks like it also has problems, though.
See here: http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25662

I saw that someone got a v5800 to work on 10.6.8 with device ID injection, though.

If you don't have integrated graphics with your motherboard/CPU, you can still install 10.8.3 with Unibeast with only an ATI 7xxx card installed. Take a look at my guide to illustrate how it works:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-3930k-radeon-hd-7970-ghz-3gb.html#post577520

Note that you DO NEED a sleep enabled DSDT for your motherboard before beginning this process.

The universally important steps are:

Set up a small FAT partition and tweak bootloader (easier than it sounds -- Steps 5 and 15)
Disable ATI7000Controller.kext before first boot (Steps 6 and 7)

And make sure to install whatever is necessary for sleep on your motherboard before first post-multibeast boot.

guys I have problem that my hackintosh freezes when I run Heaven 4.0 or install iState pro widget or install menu bar extension of HWMonitor ...does anyone have the same problem?
how I can fix it?

and it happens when I boot with my 7970 card ...but if I boot with HD4000 there is no problem ...

no problems with any of those here w/ my 7950 OC, but i did install HWMonitor when first setting up the system with my 5770 (no igpu)

Heaven runs fine except for the anti-aliasing bug that others have posted.

umm...
ok i noticed that in bios when i choose IGPX as intial GPU when i plug in my DVI in 7970 it goes from IGPX to Auto !!|i think this is why i can't avoid white screen issue.

and i tried to install the hackintosh in another hdd and then install clover bootloader .. but it stills boot to windows :\

and to boot to the new hack i have to boot in safe mode or it will stuck on apple logo...

why i can't run heaven or HWMonitor menu bar extension?!

If you don't have integrated graphics with your motherboard/CPU, you can still install 10.8.3 with Unibeast with only an ATI 7xxx card installed. Take a look at my guide to illustrate how it works:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-3930k-radeon-hd-7970-ghz-3gb.html#post577520

Note that you DO NEED a sleep enabled DSDT for your motherboard before beginning this process.

The universally important steps are:

Set up a small FAT partition and tweak bootloader (easier than it sounds -- Steps 5 and 15)
Disable ATI7000Controller.kext before first boot (Steps 6 and 7)

And make sure to install whatever is necessary for sleep on your motherboard before first post-multibeast boot.

thanks so freaking much.. after banging my head off my desk for the past few days i finally got my 7970 working with your post... only thing i have found is heaven benchmark will freeze my system but luxmark works.. but i dont care im so freaking happy

Happy to help. I spent a lot of time figuring it out also.

For those with crashes, it's best to remove the monitoring extensions from FakeSMC. They may cause problems with some 7xxx series cards. Wait until they are updated. Remember that we have only had drivers for these cards for a few weeks; it's going to take time for development to catch up. I would bet the Heaven crash is related to this also. Heaven works perfectly on my system (as you can see by the score on my thread). 7970 is CRAZY fast :)

Sweet! This is great news, MK500 and joshc12385!
I updated the OP in the list of confirmed cards with this new information.

Also, I added a link to MK500's above post for people who can't use a dual graphics option (I hope that's ok by you, MK500). I'm sure it will come in very handy for the community! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back