Contribute
Register

10.8.2 MIDI Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same issue here. Can anyone tell me how to disable USB3 on a
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH? I thought disabling xHCI Pre-Boot and XHCI mode might do it, but no luck.

Within your bios settings at boot there will be an option to disable USB3. It's within the advanced settings. Apologize on iPhone, so I can't tell you exact location, but go through the menus. If you have trouble I can grab the full path once I'm home.

Worked like a charm. I have noticed my USB3 external has load problems in the USB3 port. I keep it in an alternate non USB3 port and everything works fine.

D

Within your bios settings at boot there will be an option to disable USB3. It's within the advanced settings. Apologize on iPhone, so I can't tell you exact location, but go through the menus. If you have trouble I can grab the full path once I'm home.

Worked like a charm. I have noticed my USB3 external has load problems in the USB3 port. I keep it in an alternate non USB3 port and everything works fine.

D

Hi, it would be great if you could tell me exactly where it is. I see an option to disable USB2 under Peripherals, but no USB3. I'm on BIOS version 11, not sure if options change between versions. I think I've looked through every setting, but hopefully I've just missed it somewhere. Thanks!

Update: Changing xHCI Mode in the BIOS to Disabled does disable USB3. It still wasn't working, but now after deleting the contents of Library/Audio/Midi Devices, and MIDI Drivers, it seems to be working.

Half a year later, I ran into this exact problem trying to get USB 3.0 working. I got the dreaded "MIDI Server can't be opened" message, and it was causing Pro Tools 10 to take ten minutes to launch. I looked all over the DUC and found nothing. I should have come here first!

BTW, the PXHCD.kext you have uploaded (no version, created Sept. 7, 2011) does not work with Mountain Lion 10.8.3, but the one in MultiBeast 5.2.1 (version 1.0.10) works like a charm!

Just to be clear, the NEC D720200F1 USB 3.0 controller is working with the LaCie 3rd Party drivers (PXHCD.kext version 1.0.10) with OSX 10.8.3.

Thank you so much, giacomoleopardo!

Hey folks, First time post for me,
just got my HP Compaq running on ML, surprising without the need for multibeast yet (no audio though).
I mostly use the mac os for porting my multi-platform midi apps, using (ex nokia) C++ Qt framework, and RtMidi.
Ran into midi issues with my freeware programs on ML (GT-FxFloorBoard and GR-55FloorBoard), where midi devices would disappear in device selection lists and apps generally started crashing (as reported by many mac users recently upgraded to ML).
The result is in the past (and on other platforms) midi devices are opened, used, then closed/disposed, and the API deleted from memory when midi transactions are finished.
I found with ML the midi device doesn't like being closed/terminated, as the device will become unavailable, this requires re-writing the application software, and most midi devices require ML specific drivers.

Thought i would share that you, in case it may be relevant to someone.

Gumtown, that last little bit with regards to "devices becoming unavailable" has happened to me I think. I had midi working the other day, and on reboot today the devices I was using are no longer visible. I have a Novation Remote 37SL, and an Echo Audiofire 8 - in both cases their audio and/or USB activities work with Ableton 8, but the midi ports are no longer detected under options! The funny thing is, if I use the program MidiTrail, then this program CAN see them in the ports selection...and receive Midi messages (miditrail and ableton screenshot below).

I've been beating my head against a wall for a few weeks now on this one. Any help from ANYONE would be great. I've got an x58a-ud3r setup, OS X 10.8 (12A269), multibeast 5.2.1. I've gotten rid of the Cal* kext files and disabled USB3 in the bios (which got me this far to the point where it worked for a while!).

I've also reinstalled the drivers for the Novation and Echo equipment...although it's difficult to know if I got everything.

Thanks in advance for eveyone's help.
Rowley

Screen Shot 2013-04-19 at 11.44.44 PM.png

UPDATE: Thanks to Gumtown's explanation, I just unplugged and then deleted these particular devices from Audio Midi Setup, and then reconnected the devices. They reinstated themselves. Deleting all the malfunctioning devices (IAC was crashing as well), I was able to stop Audio Midi Setup from crashing any more. Great! Well, not optimal, but at least I can get back to where I was a few weeks back with my composition.

Thanks for inadvertently being my 'talking to the wall' solution board...for now.

Hi, it would be great if you could tell me exactly where it is. I see an option to disable USB2 under Peripherals, but no USB3. I'm on BIOS version 11, not sure if options change between versions. I think I've looked through every setting, but hopefully I've just missed it somewhere. Thanks!

Update: Changing xHCI Mode in the BIOS to Disabled does disable USB3. It still wasn't working, but now after deleting the contents of Library/Audio/Midi Devices, and MIDI Drivers, it seems to be working.

Can confirm this also worked for me, thanks for the info!

Any update to this? Has anybody experienced these issues with a clean install of 10.8.4 or 10.8.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back