Contribute
Register

10.8.2 & AMD 68XX - New support??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have updated my Unibeast Thumbdrive to 10.8.2 and the white screen problem still remains, which is a little irritating for me as i dont have intergrated graphics. Luckily however i do have my trusty Geforce GT240 which I upgraded from.

If you dont have a spare compatible card to use or integrated graphics you can remove the kext from the USB stick, but once the installation is complete you must boot from the Unibeast usb into your new installation and run kextbeast to re-add the kext you deleted (adding it to the installed system not the usb stick). You may then run Multibeast and your system will boot as normal as long as you dont install the FakeSMC plugins.

I cant comment on the sleep issue with 6870 cards as I dont use sleep (the entire system would hang if I did).

Does anyone have issues with the Sapphire HD 6870 and wake from sleep in ML? I can get the box to sleep but when I wake, I just get a black screen. Tried different personalities (bulrushes and duckweed) and different ATI configs. Also tried adding the full card to my DSDT. None of this fixes the issue.

DeviceID: 0x6738

I can't even install with the method of removing the ATI6000.kext. I mean, it works to get it installed, but then after I install the old kext back on with Kext Beast and reboot, I get a brief flash of the screen, and the poof....all black. If I let it sit for 10-15 mins, I'll actually see it blink for 1 second with the display, then after a few more the screen goes from black to nuts...lines everywhere, then the system reboots.

This is really disappointing, as I love the 6870, and Mountain Lion....

Not sure what to try next.

Never heard of that problem before.

Using XFX 6870, max. 350fps using OpenCL Oceanwave test. (before and after sleep)

The issue was caused by MacPro3,1 definition (AGPM disabled). This card needs AGPM to function correctly, so any system that enables AGPM will work correctly. I was able to resolve the issue by changing my system definition to MacPro5,1 and it works fine now. I am using this card as a workhorse now.

I tested my 6870 - it is working fine until you put machine to sleep and wake up. After wake 80% performance will be gone and some openCL bench app crashing during tests. True for Lion 10.7.5 and 10.8.2. So it is perfect if your machine never sleeps ;-). Really hope it will be fixed in the future, I like 6870.

I have the Gigabyte 6850. I tested this and found the same results. I tried changing to MacPro5,1 and get a Kernel panic upon boot. When I change back to MacPro 3,1 the Kernel panic no longer occurs. Any hints?

I changed the system definition to MacPro5,1. This fixed my Gigabyte 6850's after-wake performance.

When changing to MacPro5,1 I had to delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleTyMCEDriver.kext. Otherwise the result is a Kernel Panic during boot.

As far as I have read and understood, AppleTyMCEDriver.kext checks for ECC RAM that the real MacPro5,1 is equipped with. My machine does not have ECC, which causes the kernel panic.

I can't even install with the method of removing the ATI6000.kext. I mean, it works to get it installed, but then after I install the old kext back on with Kext Beast and reboot, I get a brief flash of the screen, and the poof....all black. If I let it sit for 10-15 mins, I'll actually see it blink for 1 second with the display, then after a few more the screen goes from black to nuts...lines everywhere, then the system reboots.

On my corsair build I had the flash of apple and then black and then system would reboot. Updated bios from F8 to F10 and all is well, 10.8.2 installed and working. Might be worth a shot if you have updated bios for your board. This is on my Z68X-UD4-B3/XFX 6870/i5-2500K build.

On another note I could never figure out why a person needs to put back that ati 6000controller kext because it is used to boot the usb drive, once ML is installed a new ati6000controller kext gets installed into the operating system anyway and the usb installer one has nothing to do with it (unless its an earlier version, I never checked). I replaced my system kext with the 10.7.5 version anyway (along with two others) and it runs great.

Working on step by step guide but be a day or two yet before I can post it.

On another note I could never figure out why a person needs to put back that ati 6000controller kext because it is used to boot the usb drive, once ML is installed a new ati6000controller kext gets installed into the operating system anyway and the usb installer one has nothing to do with it (unless its an earlier version, I never checked). I replaced my system kext with the 10.7.5 version anyway (along with two others) and it runs great.

Working on step by step guide but be a day or two yet before I can post it.
When you removed the ATI6000 kext it's obviously not being used while installing with Unibeast, it no longer exist on the boot drive, that's why the process works! Of course since the kext doesn't exist, it's also not getting installed during the ML installation, therefore it needs to be added back after the install is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back