Contribute
Register

10.7 the easy way!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can this work from 10.6.5? I ask because I never successfully updated to 10.6.6 because I'd loose all my USB (keyboard/mouse). So I stayed with 10.6.5.

Thanks

Max

We only support installations using iBoot+MultiBeast here.

If you have a Lion install DVD ( made from InstallESD.dmg file ) do you still need to use the steps to create install partition and move?
Is it ok to boot directly from the dvd and perform an update of 10.6.8 or do a fresh install without the xmove step?

peterb said:
If you have a Lion install DVD ( made from InstallESD.dmg file ) do you still need to use the steps to create install partition and move?
Is it ok to boot directly from the dvd and perform an update of 10.6.8 or do a fresh install without the xmove step?
You're obviously welcome to take the leap, but I personally left my root SL alone until I was sure Lion was running smooth. Then I got rid of it.

Luckily, OSX isn't like windows- you can mess with your partitions seemingly as much as you want after an OS is installed *just don't use the pulldown. :)

I pointed out to a couple people in a few other posts that they ended up needing some files from their SL install (extra folder) even after the install, so...

My advice for the two cents is to leave your bootable-stable 10.6.8 alone and make a new partition for Lion, but of course; it's your choice.
edit: Wow. It's 3am. I'm going to bed. At least I partially answered one part of your question with this windbag blowout of an explanation. Now that I've re-read it... :)

Hi

so, i tried from a scratch install, iboot, retail 10.6.3, combo 10.6.8, multibeast, xmove to a new installer partition (i start from a new hdd for all this steps, all pass :) ), start the installer and the famous spining ball ...

OK, let try an another way....
I made a new usb disk from installer's package (lot of "how to" on the forum), start a fresh install on a formated hdd, and it works :)
Sometime, the "official way" don't work... Just search ;)

Now, with this installer, i can play with Lion on my sandy's and my laptop (see laptop in an another tread ;) )

Gaston

I had a problem with xMove saying it failed. I used the alternate method of mounting the lion dmg. Then xmove was successful. Using the latest iboot, I select the installer and get the gray screen starting up and that is it. I tried again with -x -v and it ran for a while but after several pages it restarted.

Are there any techniques to get past this? I'm using latest iboot CD. retail appstore Lion.

Thanks

Max

iboot is currently not compatile with Lion. Go back to step 1: If you don't follow this guide, don't ask for help on this quide.

Tips and tricks: (not I do not have a working Lion install yet, but this is how I speed up the process of figuring out what went wrong if I was to do my install)

-Follow the instructions from the xMove tutorial on the main tonymacx86 page, up through the part where you partition your disk(s).

-Make a 3rd partition, call it Lion Tester (I made mine 15 GB).

-Continue with running xMove, and instead, install fresh onto Lion Tester.

-Try different things with MultiBeast

-When you find a working combination (idk about you guys, but when I did my 10.6 install, I had one hell of a time getting my stuff to work) then install Lion from the Installer partition, which you left on the disk!!! and run the same MultiBeast settings you did in Lion Tester

-Enjoy your tested install

My rig: 60 GB OCZ SSD with SL and Installer partition, and my 500 GB WD Caviar Black with a clone partition, a data partition, and a Lion Test partition. Notes on all my hardware in the sig below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back