Contribute
Register

10.7.4 Sandy Bridge CPU Power Management Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
linw said:
MacMan said:
As for the over-clocked SSDT, I reduced the maximum clock to 4.2 GHz since that is the maximum that OS X can report.
I'm running my 2700K at 4.6 GHz and OS X reports 4.3 GHz. Would I have to lower the CPU freq to use the overclock SSDT?

I had C1E, C3, C6 and EIST disabled. Re-enabled EIST now, would I re-enable the others too?

I have not upgraded to 10.7.4 yet and it seems like I will wait until all questions are ironed out.

OSX can most certainly support more now with 10.7.4, you just need to make your own SSDT. (You can see you hit the higher than 4.3ghz p-states). "About this mac" currently only can report 4.3ghz as the highest, but this is a cosmetic issue and nothing with what your actually running at. Take a look at my OC guide in my sig, the second post explains how to edit your own SSDT, either multibeasts or if you already got your own out of ubuntu/aida64.

How did you do this (I am new in this field):

replacing "GeneratePStates" with "DropSSDT"

MultiBeast 4.5 SSDT; DropSSDT removed; GeneratePStates reactivated

when I upgraded to 10.7.4 my score from 15000 dropped to 6000. What should i do

I followed OP, added three more P-States to the SSDT.aml from the Customization > Boot Options > SSDT >Core i5/i7 Overclocked selection in MultiBeast 4.5.1 and everything is OK! I'm OC at 4.5Mhz running 10.7.4.

This is awesome. Thank you.

Code:
May 20 21:48:59 Johns-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16) 
May 20 21:48:59 Johns-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 17 18 19 20 45

Thanx to everyone at this forum for making things like this possible :thumbup:

Installed combo 10.7.4 and rebooted.
Ran Multibeast 4.5.1 with SSDT I7 OC and the audio drivers ticked, rebooted.
Had to run multibeast with audiodriver option twice.
I was getting multiplier x 16 because my bios was set to Turbo Ratio 44 for each core.
I lowered to 42 and everything was working :clap:

I have this question: How to tweak to have my OC of 44 working again ?

Thank you : :?

ovb1 said:
With iMac system profile you only seem to get max and min?
Try MacPro 3,1 for a full set of psteps?

Thanks for the answer but i'm already set as MacPro 3,1... So still wondering, what to try...!

I feel like if the problem comes from S/L/E Kext... If anyone can tell what the kext involved in the stepping process which ones i should have and which one shouldn't not be in...?

MacMan said:
Today, tonymac and I released a new version of MultiBeast that include SSDTs and fixes 10.7.4 Sandy Bridge power management issues.

For details on 10.7.4 power management, you can read our blog post here:
10.7.4 Power Management and Sandy Bridge CPUs
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/05/ ... ridge.html

So what is the story on these SSDT: they are based on what Greggen posted in the temp fix topic and have been optimized. So why did I optimize them? If you used his SSDT on a non-overclocked system, you would lose lower P-states; the more energy efficient states. So what I did was edit them down to cover the range for the maximum Turbo Boot frequency of the i5 or i7. That way on the appropriate CPU, you will see the lowest P-states and get the highest possible P-states too. As for the over-clocked SSDT, I reduced the maximum clock to 4.2 GHz since that is the maximum that OS X can report. I will do a blog post in more detail on why I did this and how to tweak.

I know there are implementation questions that I'll answer now:

1) Do I still need to use DropSSDT?
  • No, if you had added it you can remove it when you use one of these SSDTs.

2) Do I still need GeneratePstates?
  • In my testing I see the same results with or without it so it's safe to keep.

3) I'm not overclocking now but might be in the future, which one do I use?
  • It's up to you. If you use the overclock version on a non-overclocked system, you will lose some lower P-states or replace the SSDT when you decide to overclock.

4) What P-states should I see with these SSDTs?

• GA-Z68MA-D2H F10 BIOS (F9 DSDT from the database) i5-2500K.

With the i5-2500K running stock at 3.3 GHz and the i5 SSDT:
    Code:
    MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 17 18 19 20 21 34 35 36

• With the i5-2500K Overclocked to 4.2 GHz and the Overclocked SSDT:
    Code:
    MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 17 18 19 20 42

• GA-Z68XP-UD3 F10 BIOS (F8 DSDT from the database) i7-2600K.

With the i7-2600K running stock at 3.4 GHz and the i7 SSDT:
    Code:
    MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 17 18 19 20 21 38

• With the i7-2600K Overclocked to 4.2 GHz and the Overclocked SSDT:
    Code:
    MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 17 18 19 20 42

UPDATE 2012-05-18:

BIOS settings are very important when using these SSDTs.

Here are the appropriate settings required on a Gigabyte motherboard:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.) -> Advanced Frequency Settings -> Advanced CPU Core Features

• Real-Time Ratio Changes in OS: Disabled
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech.: Enabled

Macman, I have just done a clean install on a freshly partitioned drive Using UserDSDT, DSDT from the Wake Sleep Thread with EHCI edits (DSDT-GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3-F10-EHCI.aml) - I accepted the UserDSDT defaults and added Lnx2Mac network, FakeSMC Motherboard plugin, FakeSMC AMD Radeon plugin, HW Monitor, Core i7 SSDT.

There is no overclock and the Bios has usual necessary settings plus
  • Real-Time Ratio Changes in OS: Disabled
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech.: Enabled

HW overviw.tiff

The result is that although I have expected Geekbench scores and the P-States are present
p-states.tiff
the mouse and keyboard do not operate after wake. They will return after 15 secs. This is true whether using the Rear or Front USB ports. Using Bluetooth Apple Keyboard and Magic Mouse they will not function after wake and a reboot is necessary.

Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue?

Attachments

• p-states.tiff
    269 KB · Views: 504
  • HW overviw.tiff
    35.4 KB · Views: 513
May 21 14:26:51 MacPro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 17 18 19 20 21 34 35 36
May 21 14:26:51 MacPro kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(36)

just test it on my GA-H67MA-D2H

seems that is working nice. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back