Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Okay so I managed to get Lion 10.7.3 installed via the App download method and installing over my 10.6.8 installation which was working fine (and backed up).

The problem I am having is I want to backup my S/L/E and L/E kexts (post LION installation) so I can revert any changes should Multibeast mess things up but I just realised I cannot browse to the root of the drive.

In the devices list on the left, I can only see other partitions but not the current partition LION is installed on. Is this normal and how do I fix it? Not had this problem before.

heres a screenshot, the root drive should be called OSXCORE, btu as you can see its not there:
no_root.tiff

I have not currently gone through the post installation Multibeast steps but this is my 3rd attempt and I wanted to backup kexts first before I do that as I got a few KP's before.

Attachments

• no_root.tiff
    215 KB · Views: 189
Are you familiar with the Terminal at all? You can easily save a backup of the kexts that way.

TB

BlueHornet said:
Are you familiar with the Terminal at all? You can easily save the kexts that way.

TB

I have used it but with instruction from others, so no, not familiar enough I'm afraid.

The reason I haven't just CC'd the whole LION installation is because its 75GB's now (with Logic Pro installed) and I have run out of space to clone to.

I'll have a look around for a guide to using terminal to backup files unless someone can post some hints here. Thanks.

You can check out this video, for starters:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDw3RhLWAjE[/VIDEO]

While the command line work there is done after booting into single-user mode, the concept is exactly the same. You can simply open the Terminal program in OS X, and gain access to those files this way. The only difference is that you need to use 'sudo' in front of any commands that will modify a system file, such as these kexts. In the video, he is logged in with 'root' user privileges--and those are as high as it gets (full administrator rights). When you are in OS X, you are typically operating as an ordinary 'user' and this gives you a level of protection against screwing something up unintentionally. Note that you aren't really all that concerned with the boot flags used in that video, so much as the technique of using the command line to accomplish something. The boot flags ARE valuable however...and you'll likely need to use them at some point, if you have a problem down the road.

If you still have questions after you've finished watching the video, either post back here or come into the chat room. Someone will be able to assist you, I'd bet.

TB

Hey SoundFu, if you go into the Properties for Finder you can select the root device to show in the left Nav panel. By default this is not selected. From there you'll be able to back up /S/L/E or any other portion of the file system without the command line.

Hope that helps,
nomad

BlueHornet said:
You can check out this video, for starters:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDw3RhLWAjE[/VIDEO]

While the command line work there is done after booting into single-user mode, the concept is exactly the same. You can simply open the Terminal program in OS X, and gain access to those files this way. The only difference is that you need to use 'sudo' in front of any commands that will modify a system file, such as these kexts. In the video, he is logged in with 'root' user privileges--and those are as high as it gets (full administrator rights). When you are in OS X, you are typically operating as an ordinary 'user' and this gives you a level of protection against screwing something up unintentionally. Note that you aren't really all that concerned with the boot flags used in that video, so much as the technique of using the command line to accomplish something. The boot flags ARE valuable however...and you'll likely need to use them at some point, if you have a problem down the road.

If you still have questions after you've finished watching the video, either post back here or come into the chat room. Someone will be able to assist you, I'd bet.

TB

Thanks I'll check this out later, much appreciated.

nomad9 said:
Hey SoundFu, if you go into the Properties for Finder you can select the root device to show in the left Nav panel. By default this is not selected. From there you'll be able to back up /S/L/E or any other portion of the file system without the command line.

Hope that helps,
nomad

This is great news found it. :thumbup:

Thanks for your responses so far :headbang: ...continuing to tweak...

Well it seems I'm doing something wrong because after the 4th successful Lion install, now I have lost access to my Windows partition. I haven't accidentally deleted it or anything because it shows up in the boot list but I now cannot boot to it.

It seems the latest Easybeast (from Multibeast 4.3.0) breaks my Chameleon dualboot setup (I say this because prior to installing easybeast post Lion installation the Windows boot still worked).

So I'm gonna revert to 10.6.8 from my safe clone, then update to 10.7.3 but not use easybeast this time and see what happens. :crazy:

Oh yeah, regarding graphics, one of the reasons I thought I would give Lion a go was that I thought they may have fixed my issue with dual screen AMD 4890 setup. However I still cannot get dual screens working in 10.7.3.

The Netkas 7.3 AMD 48xx patch in Multibeast has admittedly got me the closest ever to having working dual screens in that they are both recognised almost, but still only one works at a time. I have tried hot swapping the outputs and everything.
Admittedly the outputs are DVI to VGA which I'm starting to think is the cause of the issue.
:problem:

And finally I have a Lacie 2TB NAS that I could connect to fine from 10.6.8 with admin login.
It seems Lion is incompatible with this system and I need to update the NAS software just to be able to connect to it.

So updating to Lion so far has not been that great for me.

PS: Where has FrontRow gone? :thumbdown:

Hey SoundFu, glad to hear you're making progress. I think VGA is a problem - don't think it works. I seem to remember reading somewhere else in the forums about this, but can't find it right now. Search and see if you can uncover something. Lion does fix most 48XX problems as they are supported natively now. Just the VGA support doesn't appear to be there.

Also, pretty sure Multibeast installs Chimera when you run EasyBeast - select easybeast and check out the bottom window to see what all gets installed with EasyBeast. That would explain your Chameleon gettings stepped on.

Have fun...

nomad9 said:
Hey SoundFu, glad to hear you're making progress. I think VGA is a problem - don't think it works. I seem to remember reading somewhere else in the forums about this, but can't find it right now. Search and see if you can uncover something. Lion does fix most 48XX problems as they are supported natively now. Just the VGA support doesn't appear to be there.

Also, pretty sure Multibeast installs Chimera when you run EasyBeast - select easybeast and check out the bottom window to see what all gets installed with EasyBeast. That would explain your Chameleon gettings stepped on.

Have fun...

Yeh sorry, Chimera is what I meant, not Chameleon. I had an older version of Chimera working fine with 10.6.8 but using the latest version of multibeast 4.3 and installing easybeast updates Chimera and thats what breaks the boot.

I'm gonna try to repair the mbr with windows disk, see if that helps. I know that will break the OSX boot but then I will fix that too.

Regarding the 48xx vga problem, i can't see a way around it as my card does not have any other outputs like mini dv or hdmi and my monitors inputs are both vga.
One thing I would like to try is perhaps using the boards onboard dual output (hdmi + dv) although this kind of renders my dedi useless in OSX. I would kill for dual screens in Logic Pro 9 tho. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back