Contribute
Register

[10.7.2] Card is not obtaining IP address occasionally

Status
Not open for further replies.
rfhall said:
turmoil09 said:
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

I've installed latest Multibeast with Lnx2Mac driver.
Almost after every reboot, my ethernet card is obtaining 169... IP address. I reboot and it's obtaining correct one. Looks like this is known issue but experienced during sleep/wake... in my case it's reboot for now. Any ideas?

It is a known issue as you mention, not sure I've ever seen it after sleep/wake however. Sleep/wake would not "normally" attempt to re-acquire an IP address unless lease had timed out. If you search forums for posts by LNX2MAC there is one (I believe it is in trouble shooting section) that covers this problem. It is a "known" Gigabyte MB issue. The post details several steps the initial steps are obvious such has bad cable, dirty connector, etc... The last few steps are run the "Smart LAN", then power off the machine (kill input power to supply) and leave it sit for a couple minutes and then finally re-flash bios. I have never had to go past power off and wait, maybe 30% success on the Smart LAN step.

I believe you refer to this http://bit.ly/DeadNIC ;)

rfhall said:
At any rate, no fix just an approach to recover when it does happen. Some MB's appears to be more prone to this than others (at least in my experience). I guess it is part of the "charm" of running a hackintosh.
It has nothing to do with hackintoshing, nor with drivers, as this has been reported by lots of people on different platforms and OSes...
Seems Gigabyte boards are most susceptible to this though.

I'm using the GA-H61N-USB3 motherboard. I was experiencing a similar problem that seemed to be triggered the when the system would sleep- after waking up the IP was the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address and even rebooting after rebooting the system could not acquire an IP anymore. Following Lnx2Mac's guide on reviving dead Ethernet ports I was able to get the NIC working again (step 5 is what did it for me in fact). Although this would bring the NIC back it unfortunately didn't prevent the problem from happening again- basically the next time I put the system to sleep the problem would happen again. After going through this for a couple of days I finally started looking at the comments on Lnx2Mac's page and noticed one by Locmer where he mentioned disabling Wake on LAN. I went into the BIOS, found that in fact Wake on LAN was enabled, and so I disabled it. After that I've never lost the Ethernet port again. No idea if this will work on other motherboards or not, but it seems to have done the trick for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back