Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I can't get the 10.6.8 combo update to work. Tried various guides on installing. Pretty much:
- installed the update helper
- installed 10.6.8
- before rebooting ran multibeast
-installed DSDT + chimera
- rebooted w/o iboot disk, and after the apple logo, the screen just goes white

I've tried installing the easybeast instead of the custom DSDT, but the result is the same.

of course any help is greatly appreciated.

-thx

Re: 10.6.8 update failed

Try this: run Update Helper, reboot, install the combo update. Reboot. Now open MultiBeast and only do the user DSDT install with System Utilities. Reboot without iBoot. Now add in MultiBeast options, one at a time with System Utilities, reboot after each new addition.

See here for some tips on new installations: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34618&hilit=+tips

well. That didn't work, but at least it's narrowed down to the combo update.

Installed fresh copy of SL
reboot
install bridge helper
reboot
combo update
reboot to first an apple screen, then just a blank white screen.

I currently have no video card installed, and just an SSD. The SL before the combo update works fine, but as soon as the update is applied it doesn't work.

I currently have no video card installed
You must run a video card with Snow Leopard, onboard graphics aren't going to work.

I have the video card installed but still using the on board graphics. I'll then try to get the system to work with the graphics card then attempt the update.

Well, back to square 1 and a fresh install :banghead:

I guess if this doesn't work, the next thing to try is the lion install.

georgio512 said:
I guess if this doesn't work, the next thing to try is the lion install.
Lets just hope this works.

the good thing about hope is that it's very unreliable.
It looks like I have found a way to work around the horrible problem with the help of a post from thesmartguy.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=26359

This guy is the man because I have the same exact problems, and I have now gotten around them.

The gist is that some sandybridge systems (it had to be mine) will not boot independently from either the mobo-specific DSDT or the easybeast. To compound the problems, when updating to 10.6.8, the screen would freeze after the apple logo (I guess that's called a "kernal panic") and I would have to restart the whole process from the very beginning.

The process thesmartguy uses is very nice because it uses the iboot files, so if your system can boot with iboot, you can make it boot with his fix.

The other problem is 10.6.8, which didn't work for me. 10.6.7 worked after some modifications (from the same link). I guess the cool part is that fact that if you want to upgrade to lion (i'll probably hold off a little to bask in my success) you can do it from 10.6.7 or 10.6.8, so at least it's that's good.

i guess i'm at :beachball: now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back