Contribute
Register

10.6.8 update causes many problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
RDisBestPony

Yes you can remove the Sl partition once done - I dont know why you would do that Mac OS is not a big as Microsoft OS is for space.

You could also resize it down to a smaller size if you need to.

I'd just prefer to have my HDD as one partition for convienience sake

RDisBestPony

Yes you can remove the Sl partition once done - I dont know why you would do that Mac OS is not a big as Microsoft OS is for space.

You could also resize it down to a smaller size if you need to.

When I try and remove the SL partition using disk utility in ML it comes up with the message "partition failed with the error: couldn't unmount disk"

I need to remove this partition in order to boot ML from the HDD because the SL partition is screwing up the bootloader

Fixed at last!!!!!

So I gave up and started from scratch and here's what I did.

BIOS

Set optimized defaults in the BIOS
Set SATA to AHCI mode
Enabled XHCI and EHCI
Disabled Vt-d (as seen here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...i5-3470-ga-b75m-d3p-8gb-ram-evga-gt640-2.html)
set PCI ROM to legacy priority
set initial display to auto
enabled Legacy USB support

Booting Unibeast For Install

I booted the USB using the following flags: -v -x -s (note the USB was connected to the rear USB 2.0 port)
Partitioned my HDD according to the normal guide
installed the OS
rebooted from USB
Downloaded Multibeast for ML
Checked the same settings as seen here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/58062-moarfishs-build-ga-b75m-d3h-i5-3570k.html

Booting Mountain Lion From HDD

At first I recieved the "boot0: error" message

to fix this I used Ubuntu DVD to add a boot1h file to my HDD (as seen in a guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/278198-boot0error-easiest-way-to-fix-it/)

And it now works perfectly :D

Well... so far xD
Audio doesn't come through my HDMI cable but I'll be using my built in audio which does work :)
Front UBS ports don't work for USB drives but do for my Logitec M235 wireless mouce reciever (which is handy because I need to take it out often to use on my laptop) this isn't a problem as I will be using a USB Hub connected to the rear port :)

Thank you to everyone in the guides above and to totenkopf4 and Going Bald for their help :D

So I gave up and started from scratch and here's what I did.

Well... so far xD
Audio doesn't come through my HDMI cable but I'll be using my built in audio which does work :)
Front UBS ports don't work for USB drives but do for my Logitec M235 wireless mouce reciever (which is handy because I need to take it out often to use on my laptop) this isn't a problem as I will be using a USB Hub connected to the rear port :)

Thank you to everyone in the guides above and to totenkopf4 and Going Bald for their help :D

RDisBestPony

For you to have HDMI you will need to tweak a DSDT file w the settings for HDMI / Audio - we have a forum for that as well and you may find answers or post questions to that forum.

The Front USB header is connected to a USB 2. pin block on the motherboard - you could have issues w the cable - in the ports show up then you should be able to use them.

Note that some Case makers do not use a USB female header that has a Blocked Pin for Keying the connector which in effect can cause you to install it backwards.

Of course we need to connect the front USB 2.0 connector (Black) to the USB male pins which are USB 2 also.

Blue connectors are for USB 3. - Motherboard a well.

You may want to see if the manual has information on the type of chip or circuitry you have on the motherboard - this could be different and require you to locate a kext. And as this is the Snow Leopard forum this should have been posted into the Mountain Lion Desktop Support Forum for future reference - Posting ML questions and info into the SL Forum is frowned upon....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back