Contribute
Register

10.6.8 update causes many problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Install the gfx card before installing SL. You have a Keplar card, so no additional drivers are needed - full support with GE=No running Mountain Lion.

Connect the DVI or HDMI from the gfx card to the display.
Boot with iBoot Ivy Bridge
Swap for SL DVD, install SL, download/run 10.6.8 combo update to get app store
reboot to desktop with iBoot IB
purchase/download Mountain Lion install app, create UniBeast USB
Reboot and install ML.
Remember to select GE=No from MultiBeast.

So shall I use the boot flag "GraphicsEnabler=No" on every boot when I'm using the iboot disk?

and is there any recomended manufacturer of USB I should use (one that's known to work for unibeast)

So shall I use the boot flag "GraphicsEnabler=No" on every boot when I'm using the iboot disk?
Yes, use GE=no until you have run MultiBeast and selected GE=No from it to install. Then you don't need to enter it anymore as it will now be a permanent flag in org.chameleon.boot.plist

and is there any recomended manufacturer of USB I should use (one that's known to work for unibeast)

Personally I have had good luck with Toshiba Transmemory USB flash drives, 4Gb, 8Gb, 16Gb and 32Gb. All have worked well for me.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Transmemory-Flash-Drive-THNU38N08GTRT/dp/B007SRLF5W/

Yes, use GE=no until you have run MultiBeast and selected GE=No from it to install. Then you don't need to enter it anymore as it will now be a permanent flag in org.chameleon.boot.plis

Personally I have had good luck with Toshiba Transmemory USB flash drives, 4Gb, 8Gb, 16Gb and 32Gb. All have worked well for me.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Transmemory-Flash-Drive-THNU38N08GTRT/dp/B007SRLF5W/

Going Bald this is good news to know that the Toshiba Transmemory will work .....

ML install fails

Ok so I got everything 10.6.8 and I've created the Unibeast bootloader for ML.
When I boot from USB and select the USB at the boot screen I get stuck at the white screen with a grey apple logo and a spinning wheel. After about a minute the screen dims slightly and a grey square pops up that shows a circle with a line through it.

I've tried the following boot flag, all of which give me the same result.

GraphicsEnabler=No
npci=0x3000
-x

I've tried different combinations of them all and nothing works.

This is with optimized defaults on the BIOS and SATA set to AHCI mode
I'm using my Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 PCI-E 3 graphics card connecting it to my monitor via the HDMI

Make sure your gfx card is in the PCIeX16 slot (closest to the CPU)
set optimized defaults in BIOS
make sure all boot options are AHCI
make sure all boot devices are SATA - no UEFI/EFI devices in the boot list
set PCI ROM priority to Legacy
set XHCI mode to Auto (not smart auto)
set init display first to PEG

That should be all you need to change in the BIOS until you go back and reset the RAM freq to 1600 by setting it at XMP profile.

try install first with just -v
then -v -x
then -v -x PCIRootUD=1
then -v -x npci=0x3000

if none of these work, report back results with a screen shot of each if you can.

ML install fails

That should be all you need to change in the BIOS until you go back and reset the RAM freq to 1600 by setting it at XMP profile.

When do I do this?

Make sure your gfx card is in the PCIeX16 slot (closest to the CPU)
set optimized defaults in BIOS
make sure all boot options are AHCI
make sure all boot devices are SATA - no UEFI/EFI devices in the boot list
set PCI ROM priority to Legacy
set XHCI mode to Auto (not smart auto)
set init display first to PEG

try install first with just -v
then -v -x
then -v -x PCIRootUD=1
then -v -x npci=0x3000

if none of these work, report back results with a screen shot of each if you can.

Ok so I've tried all of these and none of them work.
I've disabled VT-d (see http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...i5-3470-ga-b75m-d3p-8gb-ram-evga-gt640-2.html)

everytime I try the bootflags you've mentioned I get stuck at "com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib Load Succeeded" and I get a message that pops up every 30 seconds saying "Still waiting for root device"

the flags "GraphicsEnabler=0" "npci-0x3000" and "PCIRootUID=1) (or 0) only affect where the lines "NVDAGKStartup: Official" and "NVDAGK100HAL Loaded and registered" appear.

I have tried the install using a 16Gb Verbatim Store 'N' Go and an 8Gb SanDisk Ultra both of which recieve the same results on either of my front USB ports (all of my USB 2.0 ports on the rear are being used)

This again is using the HDMI port of my Graphics card

I am doing the install on the same Hard drive that I've installed SL 10.6.8 on (no use of multibeast at all as I'm only using it to bridge to ML)

Ok so I've tried all of these and none of them work.
I've disabled VT-d (see http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...i5-3470-ga-b75m-d3p-8gb-ram-evga-gt640-2.html)

everytime I try the bootflags you've mentioned I get stuck at "com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib Load Succeeded" and I get a message that pops up every 30 seconds saying "Still waiting for root device"

the flags "GraphicsEnabler=0" "npci-0x3000" and "PCIRootUID=1) (or 0) only affect where the lines "NVDAGKStartup: Official" and "NVDAGK100HAL Loaded and registered" appear.

I have tried the install using a 16Gb Verbatim Store 'N' Go and an 8Gb SanDisk Ultra both of which recieve the same results on either of my front USB ports (all of my USB 2.0 ports on the rear are being used)

This again is using the HDMI port of my Graphics card

I am doing the install on the same Hard drive that I've installed SL 10.6.8 on (no use of multibeast at all as I'm only using it to bridge to ML)

RDisBestPony

Suggest you make a separate Mac partition on the SL Disk that way you can have both the SL to boot from and the ML to install to....

DO this by booting up in SL then using disk utilities make a seperate partition like you did when you made the SL one for the install of SL.

Once done then you can install ML to this new partition, and boot.

RDisBestPony

Suggest you make a separate Mac partition on the SL Disk that way you can have both the SL to boot from and the ML to install to....

DO this by booting up in SL then using disk utilities make a seperate partition like you did when you made the SL one for the install of SL.

Once done then you can install ML to this new partition, and boot.

Will I then be able to delete the SL partition afterwards and use my full HDD for th ML partition?

Will I then be able to delete the SL partition afterwards and use my full HDD for th ML partition?

RDisBestPony

Yes you can remove the Sl partition once done - I dont know why you would do that Mac OS is not a big as Microsoft OS is for space.

You could also resize it down to a smaller size if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back